Contact Staff

Contact the team

Monk Cottage, Wellington - March 2016

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History

Monk Cottage, located next door to St. Patrick’s Church, was constructed sometime in the 1860s, when European settlement took place after gold was discovered in the area. The small church, which is listed with the Historic Places Trust, was a community owned church built later in 1873. It is estimated that the value of both premises amounts to around $40,000. Although very little history exists surrounding Monk Cottage, which is now also community owned, several reports suggest it was the former home to each of the reverends of the church. The community’s plan for both sites is now to preserve them, and save each from being demolished in the future. Over the years the church has remained largely intact as it is still used for community events such as weddings, other festive occasions and funerals; contrariwise, the general condition and integrity of the cottage has been left to deteriorate. Although there is no sign of water damage, Monk Cottage has been subject to vandalism and, since its paint has worn away over time, the effects of the weather. Many years ago there was also a path leading up to Monk Cottage, but today it has almost completely disappeared.

Our Version of Events

If you leave Wellington and take a little drive towards Makara, following the windy road through areas of open grassland and forest, you are likely to stumble across Monk Cottage. It’s very easy to miss, so you need to keep your eyes peeled; and if you do, you’re sure to spot the little gem. After our scenic journey through New Zealand’s magnificent landscape, we parked the car and walked straight up to the old house. Although there are other buildings around, and there’s a nearby road, we didn’t see any other people, so accessing the building felt a little too easy. The whole time we were there I was expecting an angry farmer, or a curious passer-by, to collar us. Fortunately, this didn’t happen. 

As we approached the dusty house from the front garden I couldn’t help but think that the entire structure looked as though it belonged in the Wild West. If there had been horses and cowboys around, they would have blended in quite nicely. Once we were inside my imaginings weren’t spoiled either; the whole building, and the things inside it, looked as though they also belonged in Dodge City. All we were missing was the whisky and a couple of harmonicas. On the whole the building is very small, as you might expect, but there was something marvellous about the entire thing. 

The dusty boards creaked beneath our shoes as we walked from room to room. Unlike most abandoned places, the smell was woody, rather than the usual musty stench of mould. Most of the cracked wood seemed slightly rotten, but it was baked dry instead of damp. Almost all of the old paint inside was chipped or peeling from the walls and, where the wallpaper had fallen off under the stairs, we found some very old newspaper that looked as though it has been plastered onto the wooden boards a long time ago. After spending twenty minutes taking photos, and playing with the piano for a while, it was agreed we’d seen all there was to see and that it was time to saddle up and move on. 

We closed the door carefully behind us as we left; it was time to hit the saloon and try our hand at a game of poker. The baked grass crunched as we waked back towards the road. Our camera bags hung low, to assure smoothness in drawing our Nikons with a steady hand, should we have felt the need to draw at any moment. I held a long steady gaze, taking in my full surroundings. We knew, right then, with our confident sauntering, triggerless remotes and 64gb memory cards there wasn’t any room for anyone else in this town. If I’d had a hat I would have pulled it down low, covering my face like Clint Eastwood. Alas, I didn’t, and more to the point, I suddenly realised I was daydreaming. So, instead, we simply got back in the car and set off back into Wellington in search of more explores. 

Explored with Nillskill and Zort. 

1: Monk Cottage and Barn

aDSC_0226-2_zpsrzeenlip.jpg

2: Monk Cottage

aDSC_0224_zpsgjmfnm0b.jpg

3: The Piano

aDSC_0165-2_zps63pzpu6h.jpg

4: The Piano Close Up 

aDSC_0198_zpszy6ea2sr.jpg

5: The Lawnmower

aDSC_0174-2_zpswpj0lkf8.jpg

6: Lawnmower and Sinks

aDSC_0206_zpswb0zmyop.jpg

7: Stag's Head and Fireplace

aDSC_0185-2_zps2zitecnt.jpg

8: Stag's Head Close Up

aDSC_0183_zpsxvnzh4ii.jpg

9: The Stove

aDSC_0171_zpsn5a5pogx.jpg

10: The Staircase

aDSC_0160_zpsqevxvivw.jpg

11: Upstairs Chair

aDSC_0148-2_zpsukc5dxnl.jpg

12: Upstairs

aDSC_0145_zps0rddzv60.jpg

13: Upstairs: The Other Side

aDSC_0150-2_zps6sikumqk.jpg

14: The Newspaper Under the Stairs (Overcoats for Every Man Advert at the Bottom)

aDSC_0209_zpsx4e6gcme.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Liking that mate, like something out of the wild west (y)  

:comp  

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone. Was surprised at the things left over, since it looks empty from the outside. 

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Pic 2 reminds me if the little house on the prairie. If your younger than 28 then forget that last sentence Haha! 

I like this, the piano is lovely, really nice (y)  

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Pic 2 reminds me if the little house on the prairie. If your younger than 28 then forget that last sentence Haha! 

I like this, the piano is lovely, really nice (y)  
For some reason or another I know what you mean :p  

The piano was cool. First time I've ever come across a stag's head before too. Felt very Wild West.