free hit counter
MV Panagiotis (Zakynthos Shipwreck) Sept 2010 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

MV Panagiotis (Zakynthos Shipwreck) Sept 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp_Donkey

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Ok so not really urbex, more of a tourist attraction from my holiday. But it has quite an interesting story. Sorry the photo's arn't great, had to point and shoot as the only access is by boat. And thought it may be worthwhile sticking up.

So heres the history and the "story" of its demise.

A Coastal trading vessel, or Coaster, the Panagiotis was built in 1937 in Glasgow by Scotts Bowling, Yard 341, for the J. & A. Gardner and Co. Ltd. shipping company[1], and fitted with engines made by British Auxiliaries Ltd. At her launch, she measured 163 feet in length and 26 feet in width. She had a draft of just over 11 feet, and a gross register tonnage of 452. As a Coaster, her primary use was in the transportation of trade cargo through local, shallow waters. Her eventual use in the smuggling of goods may have led to her downfall in the early 1980s.

History

The Panagiotis has changed hands and names since her construction.

1937 - Originally named the MV Saint Bedan, she was launched on Thursday, 14 January 1937 from Glasgow.

1964 - She was sold to Greek owners, M. Gigilinis and S. Kakassinas of Thessaloniki (her port of registry), who renamed her Meropi.

1966 - She was renamed Charis.

1975 - She was sold by N.S. Kalfas to P. Lisikatos of Piraeus and renamed Panagiotis.

1980 - She ran aground in October, on the island of Zakynthos, and was abandoned.

Sinking

The most commonly accepted story regarding the wreck of the Panagiotis maintains that it spent the later part of its life as a smuggler ship. In 1980 (during a time of record population lows on the island of Zakynthos), Panagiotis was making its way from Turkey with a freight of contraband cigarettes (for the Italian Mafia, as some versions of the story assert). The crew was suspected by authorities, and so the Panagiotis was pursued by the Greek Navy. Encountering stormy weather, the ship ran aground in a shallow cove to the north of Porto Vromi, where the crew abandoned ship to evade the pursuing Navy. To this day, the wreck remains at the site which is now called "Navagio" for the Greek "shipwreck."

On with the pictures...

holiday077.jpg

holiday078.jpg

holiday079.jpg

holiday080.jpg

holiday084.jpg

holiday086.jpg

holiday087.jpg

holiday088.jpg

holiday092.jpg

holiday094.jpg

holiday095.jpg

And i even got a chair shot!

holiday096.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, my first report in a long time. Once again sorry for the quality of the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Something a bit different, but I like it. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.