free hit counter
MY LONDON COUNTY ASYLUMS (Cane Hill, West Park, etc.) BOOK | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

MY LONDON COUNTY ASYLUMS (Cane Hill, West Park, etc.) BOOK

ASOM

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as threatened previously, my book on the 11 London County Asylums is due to be published at the end of the month, and pre-orders are up now.

WestPark_0445.jpg

My first solo book will be out on 30th July (just a couple of weeks!) and will be available from all the usual sources. It details the history of the eleven London County Lunatic Asylums opened between 1831 and 1924 (Hanwell, Colney Hatch, Banstead, Cane Hill, Claybury, Bexley, Manor, Horton, St Ebba's, Long Grove, and West Park).

I'm discussing the reasons for the asylums' creation, how they were built, what went on inside them, what life was like for patients and staff alike, and how cures were administered. It will also look at life during wartime, changing attitudes during the 20th Century, and the eventual emptying-out and closure of the buildings. There will also (of course!) be some discussion of abandonment and what happened after closure.

While there will be some geeky discussion of architecture, asylum layouts and so on, this is certainly not a "dry" history, and includes a wealth of interesting nuggets (many of them new to myself as well) regarding the patients who lived (and often died) in these astounding buildings that were often so beloved by many while also so reviled by others.

There are several of my own images included, as well as many old / archival images too.
RRP is £16.99 but currently available for pre-order from Hive or Amazon for £11.99.