Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Oil mills upper & Lower 14th 10/2010

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Right putting the past few days events behind me myself and Unclebulgaria who unfortunately left his battery behind decided to visit both upper and lower oil mills..now I know there is in the lower so i was told a Victorian oil/fuel tank a large one as for digging for hours ignoring all previous posts for info ive decided to opt for a quote !

The Oil Mill Caves are easily visible from the road as they are situated directly behind a petrol station. They consist of a large U-shaped tunnel that has entrances at either end of the cliff.
These tunnels have served many different purposes over time, undoubtedly as air raid shelters during both World Wars and for storage. Today the lower tunnels are still in use for storage and workshop space, whereas the upper level has not been used for some considerable time.

Most of the tunnel is lined with concrete. The major problem with this tunnel is that it is saturated with water. Several years ago a huge fire in the lower tunnels left the walls greatly weakened. They are now very unstable
Right didn’t take a huge amount of pics or climb the many half broken walls in the lower as a revisit when uncle b is fully laden with battery is to be done,but as i know much to some peoples annoyance ive done a report and look i didnt do it the second i got in! on with the pics

A map of the upper ,there is a map of the lower its just that seems to cover the other sections within the same area in the street(doe etc) these at one point i believe would all have been linked as the many breezeblock walls show in the lower and this i believe i also read somewhere

oilmillsupper.jpg

DSC02082.jpg

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02086.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

DSC02089.jpg

DSC02090.jpg

And now for the few i got in the lower before we decided to call it a night​

DSC02092.jpg

DSC02093.jpg

DSC02094.jpg

DSC02095.jpg

DSC02096.jpg

DSC02097.jpg

This next photo was just top the left as we came down the stairs..lots of walls lol​

DSC02099.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Not been in the lower oil mills for aaaages, really should get back and have another look at some point and take some pics, as the last time I didn't actually take my camera.

Nice pics of the upper oil mills there wevsky, they're a difficult one to photograph as the blackness of them just eats torch light! (y)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Not been in the lower oil mills for aaaages, really should get back and have another look at some point and take some pics, as the last time I didn't actually take my camera. Nice pics of the upper oil mills there wevsky, they're a difficult one to photograph as the blackness of them just eats torch light! (y)
where they in focus!! :) sorry i just cant help myself sometimes maniac :)

Swamp_Donkey

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice set of photo's Wevsky. Ive not done them in about 2 years.

Your an exploring machine.

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice set of photo's Wevsky. Ive not done them in about 2 years.Your an exploring machine.
well to be honest we had a list..a list of places to check out current status of sealed and another to see if i could find a hatch..and guilford shaft just to see if maybe it was open ..then a jaunt to the mills,as first time my friend ub and i went i was so ill i didnt clamber up ..will be a revisit to lower as he forgot his camera battery :)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
i think a & b is quite fitting
But dont we enjoy it mate..no kids no noise (except frosty sneaking up on yer) and at one with dover lol :eek:

unclebulgaria

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
yeah,he scared the shit out of me,now i am driving around in a desertionphotography advert

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
yeah and a frosty and an obscurity
gotta love them lads..im older than frostys mum..damn im old.still as daft tho! :cool2: :police2: :beer: