Contact Staff

Contact the team

Oil Power Plant - July 2015

afraid2explore

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
“This one will be something different than you might exceptâ€

We found this location from the road. Tall chimney looming from the distance. In an area where only fields could be seen such structure makes you wonder what it really is. Since I was the driver I made a short decision. We have to check it out even if we had some plans already. Driving through wheat fields we reached some kind of industrial complex. We could notice that now most of the building were in use by some small companies that were using old production halls. Later searching the web I discovered that all those structures were once occupied by a flax processing plant / linen factory. Passing by all those adapted buildings we reached our destination – that tall chimney. It was located just in the center of the industrial complex. From outside it looked like an power plant/boiler. Later it turned out it served exactly this type of function.

Building made out of red brick. Same with the chimney. Built by the Germans (during WW2) in 1942. Once it used to serve as power/heat

source for all production halls. Since the factory has been liquidated and all production halls are now used by small companies the factory complex is open (I could park my car just next to the building). The power/heat is not needed anymore and from outside it looked that the power plant is shut off.

We had a bit of difficulties to get in. Big steel door locked tight from any direction. Finally we found one sliding door which base could be moved and we were able to enter crawling on our bellies.

First we entered the basement (not really interesting, lot of dust, dark space under the big hall in which there were furnaces). Finally we found the stairs and we entered the main hall of the power plant. The main instruments generating power had to be decommissioned/sold/removed. There was just the space, smell of motor oil. We found a small control room, engineer quarters. The inside of the building was interesting from the architectural point of view. There was also the hum of a transformer. One door was closed and we could guess that the power had to be switched here somehow – coming from some more modern power plant.

Here the story could end and in general I wouldn’t even bother to share those picture I made back then here. But … there is another end to the story.

We re-visited that place after one month. It turned out that 20 days later after our first visit someone started a fire in that place. Since there was still a lot of metal that could be salvaged someone tried to use some kind of torch. There was still a lot of the oil in the basement of the building. It lit up like a match. In the end 26 fire fighter units had to come to put the fire down.

And so … this is what is left. If you have been in an abandoned structure you might know how it looks … have you revisited a structure after a massive fire ?

Unfortunately a massive storm was coming when we revisited this place and I was unable to get exactly same angles of the shots .. but it will give you an idea anyway.

The main hall – it used to host electric generators

18877697950_340434bb75_c.jpg

and after the fire

19926230195_c2cca75002_c.jpg

On the right from the main hall there was a door. Behind it a stairs leading towards the engineer quarters

18877684180_9446b5614e_c.jpg

And after it burned down

19305150593_3e172aedce_c.jpg

An electric switchboard with all the gauges and controllers still feeding the power from the transformer

18444748303_3704a2d212_c.jpg

and after the fire

19305170243_2235b4e560_c.jpg

There was a small engineer room included in the main hall

19305061943_eed34171ba_c.jpg

After the fire there is not much left from it

19303592134_4daee13ce9_c.jpg

The main from another angle looked like this. Door on the right open to another Hall in which there used to be furnaces

19899837396_494458d958_c.jpg

but after the fire … its something totally different

19931166361_40565f84ef_c.jpg

A big valve was still there before the fire

19059825732_6d9defc8aa_c.jpg

but now

19739518699_a9d5b406e6_c.jpg

and … of course … now there is no roof. Soon there will be trees growing here

19918488002_f9ba4dbef6_c.jpg

It seems we were the last people to immortalize this structure before the fire. Sad part it could be adapted somehow. Now … it will just decay.

If you want to be more up to date with my finds or you want to see more photos (I dont share them all here for obvious reasons) visit my flickr or fb page.

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats a really good write up Karol also the Idea of comparison before and after the fire works well.

I shows the complete devastation it can bring.

A shame is look an interesting location.

Thanks for sharing (y)

:comp

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this, something different and good to see a location so well documented like this (y)

:comp (re-share!)

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Great report that, top notch stuff. Liking the comparison shots too (y)

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Really like how you have done the before and after shots, (y)

Great pics