Contact the team

Belgium Orange Factory (03/2018)

Urban Relics

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Website
www.urbanrelics.be
I can honestly say that this factory, part of a former blast furnace site, to date is one of my favourite spots. The colors and the decay were simply exquisite. Well, to my eyes they were anyway... I've heard that since our visit there, about a year and a half ago, things haven't improved. Apparently thieves and vandals have found their way in. Very unfortunate... I'm thankful I got to see it before they got there...

A bit of background:

In this factory, the waste from a nearby blast furnace was processed, more specifically synthetic graphite was produced from the waste of the cokes used in the blast furnace. Because of the relative softness of the material and its (self) lubricating properties, it is used in electrical engineering in sliding contacts, including in electric motors (as carbon brushes), in pantographs and in potentiometers. Another application is the use as electrode material in electrochemical cells, for example in the isolation of aluminum from bauxite, or in electrolysis of aqueous solutions. Although the environmental permit for this operation is still valid until 2025, the activities were shut down a long time ago. Due to the slump in the steel industry, when one after another blast furnace was shut down, all associated companies also ran into difficulties…

OrangeFactory01S.jpg

OrangeFactory02S.jpg

OrangeFactory03S.jpg

OrangeFactory04S.jpg

OrangeFactory05S.jpg

OrangeFactory06S.jpg

OrangeFactory07S.jpg

OrangeFactory08S.jpg

OrangeFactory09S.jpg

OrangeFactory10S.jpg

OrangeFactory13S.jpg

OrangeFactory14S.jpg