free hit counter
Pierremont Air Raid Shelter, Broadstairs 03/04/ 2011 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Pierremont Air Raid Shelter, Broadstairs 03/04/ 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Invader

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
The shelter was was built to accommodate around 150 people, and there are two clearly defined phases of construction. The first part is lined with smooth rendered concrete and the second, obviously a later addition, is lined with pre-formed concrete sheets. A bricked up secondary entrance can be seen from the inside and two emergency escape shafts can also be found, although they have been capped and the ladders removed. The shallowness of the shelter, shown by the depth of the manholes, suggests that it was probably constructed in the 'Cut and Cover' style, rather than being tunnelled. Strangely, the tunnels are lacking in any old graffiti or any other evidence of their use as a shelter

history taken from SUBTERRANEAN HISTORY

visited with wevsky and permission from the local council

broadstairsshelter002.jpg

broadstairsshelter005.jpg

broadstairsshelter006.jpg

broadstairsshelter011.jpg

the pump for the fountain above

broadstairsshelter008.jpg

broadstairsshelter004.jpg

broadstairsshelter013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
nice ..i couldnt find any history mate..and from the fact it was no more than 10 foot underground what use would it have been against a dirtect hit!!nice pics matey the last one is ace..im sure i pushed the shutter on that ,nice arm swirling :)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Be Rude not to mate ,even tho i did a report a while back heres a few from our with permission trip..sounds odd that with permission ;)

DSC03792.jpg

DSC03789.jpg

DSC03808.jpg

DSC03774.jpg

Cheers for the invite matey made a pleasant little outing :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
You guys lit it really well. Get any of the light coming in from the manhole covers? Like the roots and that wide angle :cool2:
Think most of the manholes or hathces where changed from theoriginals and onespot on the floor you could see the marks where the sun had been coming in through the various holes over many years.Had i mentioned id got a wide angle then:)I was suprsied when space invader said hed got permission ,whod of thought what you may get by asking :)

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
nice one guys, this has been swept out and given a good clean up from the look of your photos. All the floor slabs are back in place and all the rubbish is gone. Looks good. Its good to see they are maintaining the place (y)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Bloke who let us in obs pointed out that the bricked up entrance would have led down to beach area as used by a certain queen..think it was a queen..and that the shelter was mainly used for storage years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.