free hit counter
Places found around Hakone - Japan (cable car station, hotel, school, ...) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Places found around Hakone - Japan (cable car station, hotel, school, ...)

echograph

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
In 2017, during a holiday to Japan, I visited the Hakone area, south-east of Mt Fuji, via day-trip from Tokyo. One of the stops was Mt Hakone – accessed via cable-car from lake Ashi.

Due to timing, we only had a few minutes a the top of Mt Hakone. This was my first encounter with the eerie - Komagatake Ropeway top station.

1_.JPG

Misty day_.PNG

(Above pic is a screenshot from Google Maps street view)

In 2019 on another visit to Japan I decided to make a point of visiting this mountain again – to get close look...

In 2017, only the ground floor of the station was open to the public, holding only a ticket counter, small gift shop, a photo booth, and some vending machines. The stairwell to the second floor was blocked off, and the sign for the bathrooms was covered up.

Inside_.PNG

(Screenshot from Google Maps street view)

This enormous concrete block, perched on a cliff edge of Mt Hakone serves as anchor point for the cable car, and looks out over lake Ashi.

Its showing the signs of its age. Wikipedia says it opened in 1963.

6_.JPG

7_.JPG

It feels strange that something this run down is still in operation...

2_.JPG

3_.JPG

4_.JPG

5_.JPG

In 2017 – I desperately wanted to have a look upstairs of the creepy building, but didn't want to risk trying to sneak past the stairs from the lobby...

In 2019, the blocked sign was removed from the stairs!, and I guess they opened up the bathrooms on level 2. As soon as we entered the lobby, I decided to dash for it... my wife happily exploring the gift shop downstairs.

The blockade on the stairs was now moved to the second floor – with only the bathrooms accessible.

With no tourists on this floor yet, I figured – this is it - now or never!, and I jumped over the boom and headed upstairs – careful to listen for any noises from upstairs...

13_.JPG

My heart was pounding as I snuck further! I had to stop shooting a bit as some tourists just around the corner from me came up the stairs to visit the bathrooms... (noises from camera shutter...)

14_.JPG

As I went higher, you could see that the walls of the upper floors were never even painted. I wonder if they have ever been in service since 1963!

15_.JPG

I guess when they build this behemoth, they envisaged a restaurant and maybe visitor centre, maybe accommodation in the upper floors?

18_.JPG

A wooden trimming on the stair handrail as you approach the top floor.

21_.JPG

17_.JPG

19_.JPG

The top floor-

A chair against the wall,and some colourful stickers against the glass doors. The only colour in this dreary building.

I'm guessing one of the top-station employees comes up here for their lunch break...

20_.JPG

The top floor is basically empty, except for some communications gear that was probably installed much later.

22_.JPG

23_.JPG

24_.JPG

25_.JPG

After this I snuck back down. I regret not checking if any of the bathrooms were open.

More external shots:

26_.JPG

27_.JPG

28_.JPG

29_.JPG

30_.JPG

31_.JPG

32_.JPG

33_.JPG

34_.JPG

35_.JPG

36_.JPG

37_.JPG

38_.JPG

43_.JPG

47_.JPG

42_.JPG

I think these are heat-lamps,keeping the motor-controllers from freezing.

39_.JPG

Besides this top station building, the only other structure visible at the top is Hakonejinja Mototsumiya temple.

8_.JPG

9_.JPG

16_.JPG

A blue tile on the ground along the path to Hakone-jinja

10_.JPG

The temple shows no signs of life...

12_.jpg

On the way back down:

41_.JPG

40_.JPG

46_.JPG

45_.JPG

44_.JPG

As we were ascending the mountain, from the gondola, you can see some wooden cabins in the forest below... Some of them looked a bit worse off... I decided to go have a look when we came back down...

There was a sign board next to the road leading up the the cabins – The Hakone Prince Dog Cottage. It is spring – sakura season.

48_.JPG

49_.JPG

The cabins near the bottom of the mountain were still looking ok – they were probably still being rented out, but there were no signs of any visitors or staff.

54_.JPG

As you go higher up the mountain, it was clear that some of these cabins have not been in service in years. Completely overgrown, full of moss, algae and weeds.

50_.JPG

A tree growing out of the front porch suggests the age of disuse.

51_.JPG

Peering through the mosquito netting, I can see and old CRT TV and VCR

55_.JPG

There are downed power lines and more trees. Some of the side roads leading to the cabins are completely overgrown. I don't think anyone has walked down there for years.

56_.JPG

57_.JPG

58_.JPG

59_.JPG

No more Mario-cart for you

60_.JPG

White blossoms

61_.JPG

Looks like this one has a fridge, that probably held those two tubs of whatever.

62_.JPG

Outside

63_.JPG

64_.JPG

After this encounter, my first experience in “urban exploration”, I started noticing, in the town where we stayed (Atami), and along the roads of Yugawara which we drove through, there were plenty of eerie relics-

hotel_.PNG

(Screenshot from Google Maps street view)

and many run down and abandoned places-

65_.JPG

87_.JPG

I made a point to explore further...

A roadside visitor centre / rest stop, found across the road from a toll-gate. No idea how old this is – its definitely not in operation anymore. No name to it in Google maps.

66_.JPG

74_.JPG

I pulled off to the side of the road and walked across the empty parking area. It had a crazy amount of parking space. I don't think it was ever full.

67_.JPG

68_.JPG

69_.JPG

70_.JPG

71_.JPG

72_.JPG

73_.JPG

There was a small van parked out back, and a guy messing around. No idea how it got in – both entrances were barred.

75_.JPG

76_.JPG

78_.JPG

79_.JPG

80_.JPG

81_.JPG

82_.JPG

83_.JPG

84_.JPG

85_.JPG

Mt Fuji in the background

86_.JPG

Remnants of a hotel or possible a rec centre / maybe hot-spring pool-

88_.JPG

89_.JPG

90_.JPG

92_.JPG

93_.JPG

94_.JPG

95_.JPG

96_.JPG

Dated 2006

98_.JPG

There is some underground structure as well. Looked too dangerous to explore.

99_.JPG

The upper structure, attached to the mountain, leads you to go further up

91_.JPG

100_.JPG

101_.JPG

102_.JPG

103_.JPG

Very overgrown up there. I couldn't get over the bridge to go further up.

104_.JPG

The bridge lead over an artificial waterfall

97_.JPG

109_.jpg

I was making a lot of noise cracking through the bamboo... I ducked down for a bit while a traffic warder appeared.

104_.JPG

105_.JPG

106_.JPG

107_.JPG

108_.JPG

110_.jpg

Overgrown pedestrian walkway. There is literally nothing on the other side – just the steep mountain. I wonder how many people have ever crossed that bridge.

111_.JPG

112_.JPG

I think this is the “town office branch” - maybe a local council building. Only half of the building is still in use. The other half is piled full of junk.

113_.JPG

114_.JPG

115_.JPG

116_.JPG

117_.JPG

118_.JPG

119_.JPG

120_.JPG

121_.JPG

122_.JPG

123_.JPG

124_.JPG

A walkway over the road-

126_.JPG

127_.JPG

Leading to a school – also abandoned...

128_.JPG

129_.JPG

This school really intrigued me – I thought there might be some good photos to be had.

130_.JPG

131_.JPG

132_.JPG

133_.JPG

At the point, as I entered into a courtyard area, there was a car with a guy in it. He saw me to I just waved and pretended to be a dumb tourist. I continued to take a few pics, but he came out of his car and followed me for a bit...

134_.JPG

135_.JPG

136_.JPG

138_.JPG

137_.JPG

I pretended to leave. The guy went back to his car – then I doubled-back to check out the gym!

139_.JPG

140_.JPG

141_.JPG

142_.JPG

143_.JPG

144_.JPG

145_.JPG

146_.JPG

147_.JPG

Not being able to explore this area further, I left, however, later that day I noticed on Google maps that there is supposed to be a pool at the back of the school! - and also there is a road going up towards the back. Since we'd be travelling back past this area, I decided to give it one more go.

At the back of the school is a forest, leading up a mountain. The road stops quite a while away, and you have to make your way through the forest towards the school. Lucky for me, a path was cleared here, leading parallel to the school. I guess to prevent forest fires from reaching the school.

148_.JPG

First obstacle was this ditch or embankment. About 1.5m deep.

149_.JPG

Continuing-

150_.JPG

151_.JPG

153_.JPG

154_.JPG

As I got near the back of the school where the pool was supposed to be, there was a big ravine. I had to go down there, over some embankments and down a further set of retaining walls.

155_.JPG

156_.JPG

157_.JPG

158_.JPG

Everything was wet and covered in moss. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to climb back up the walls. It was pretty quiet out here. Only me struggling through the bamboos.

I reached the pool!! :D

pool_.jpg

There was a thicket of bamboo growing around it...

160_.JPG

159_.JPG

An abandoned hotel on the shore-

162_.JPG

When we got back to the small town to return the rental car, I spotted this place walking to the train station-

163_.jpg

I couple more random shots

164_.JPG

165_.JPG

166_.JPG

167_.JPG

168_.jpg

169_.JPG

11_.JPG

97_.JPG

146_.JPG

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Good to see something different. Looks like a cool place to explore. Nicely done and thanks for sharing!