free hit counter
Great Britain - Polphail village, Portravadie. June 2012 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Polphail village, Portravadie. June 2012

smnp

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
The small abandoned village called Polphail was built during the early 1970s to provide accommodation for up to 500 workers at a nearby oil platform construction yard in Portavadie. Unfortunately the yard was never completed and the village then lay dormant having never been occupied. The huge basin that was blasted out of the shore was dubbed ''The most expensive puddle in the world''.

There have been development plans brought to the table including demolishing the site for a new marina, however due this was abandoned due to bats roosting there.

_MG_0517.jpg

_MG_0514.jpg

_MG_0501.jpg

_MG_0494.jpg

_MG_0486b.jpg

_MG_0440.jpg

_MG_0417.jpg

_MG_0416.jpg

_MG_0422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
I love this place, always enjoyed seeing the photos from here, theres a bit of graff that you havn't shot that is of a head with a speech bubble coming from the mouth saying the NGS co-ordiantes, very clever

smnp

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I had to hold back a lot of shots mate, only allowed to post so many url's :)

Anyway I'm off & running.

;)

_MG_0442.jpg

_MG_0450.jpg

_MG_0449.jpg

_MG_0452.jpg

_MG_0459.jpg

_MG_0436.jpg

_MG_0434.jpg

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Brilliant, i would love to see this place!

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
likewise lara, looks great !, top stuff :)

smnp

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
It would be a shame if it was gone. I know they were trying to get rid of for years but I was under the impression they couldn't touch it now as the bats had moved in and they're protected. Maybe I'm havering tho...

If it is still there and you fancy a visit, there are plenty of dry areas inside to pitch a pop-up tent to spend the night.

Where did you read that it's gone Nelly?

edit:

just found this link.

http://forargyll.com/2012/11/sold-polphail-argylls-ghost-village/

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
It would be a shame if it was gone. I know they were trying to get rid of for years but I was under the impression they couldn't touch it now as the bats had moved in and they're protected. Maybe I'm havering tho...If it is still there and you fancy a visit, there are plenty of dry areas inside to pitch a pop-up tent to spend the night.

Where did you read that it's gone Nelly?

edit:

just found this link.

http://forargyll.com/2012/11/sold-polphail-argylls-ghost-village/
Pretty sure they are about to start the demo works, if not already! Since you have been there the site has been cleared of bushes and vegetation etc. Can't get anyone to confirm if its still standing though.

Thanks for the share though, good set of pics there! (y)

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I wonder what the buyers have planned for it?

S

Scattergun

Nice work there mate. I loved wandering Polphail. My last visit was in November, just after the site was sold. The plant vehicles had been in. Nelly you're location blabbing graf art was, at that point, no longer. They knocked that wall down to remove the electricity substation behind it.

The place was spared in 2009 following the discovery of roosting bats. To my knowledge the bats had moved on long ago, perhaps a year or more despite the signs being up as late as September 2012. The site was sold to the local forestry commission for a quarter mill. They're building swish new (very expensive) houses on the site in keeping with the new marina opposite.

If there's anything left there now I'd be very surprised. I'm up that neck of the woods in a week or so to see the folks so I'll get confirmation if it hasn't been sought sooner.

smnp

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I got there when I did then. If you can take a couple of snaps of the way the place is now, I'd like to see them.

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I like that place very much :D