free hit counter
Great Britain - Pomona Docks, Salford - May 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Pomona Docks, Salford - May 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulpowers

OS Member
Reaction score
I had finished my work for the day and the route home was diverted due to the M62 being shut so I decided that as I was in the area and hadn't seen a report from the docks for quite a while that I would pay the utility tunnel a visit

A little History;

8857163174_e72e41cea3_o.jpg

Seven terminal docks were constructed for the opening of the Manchester Ship CanalFour small docks were located on the south side of the canal near Cornbrook, within the Borough of Stretford and named Pomona Docks No.1, No.2, No.3 and No.4

The three main docks were located within Salford and were built primarily for large ocean-going vessels

These were situated to the west of Trafford Road on the north bank of the canal and were named No.6, No.7 and No.8. In 1905, No.9 Dock was completed on the same site

Dock No.5, or Ordsall Dock was part of the Pomona Docks, but was dug on the Salford side of the river; it was never completed and was filled in around 1905

Pomona Docks have been filled in and to large extent remain derelict, but number 3 dock remains intact and has a lock connecting the ship canal to the Bridgewater canal, which runs parallel to it

The western four docks have been converted into the Salford Quays development and can no longer be used as shipping docks

Ships using the Manchester Ship Canal now dock at various places along the canal side, such as Mode Wheel (Salford), Trafford Park, and Ellesmere Port

Most vessels have to terminate at Salford Quays, although smaller vessels can continue up the River Irwell to Hunts Bank, near Manchester Cathedral

8856489689_83da4a9d69_c.jpg

Moving the large steel plate covering the entrance I was greeted with a smell of stale water, I dropped down and immediately sank into knee deep mud, the wellies just didn't cut it this is wader territory but it was to late to worry about that now

the tunnel ran off in both directions so I set off in to the mud

8857162620_15206a71dc_c.jpg
8857148956_421433eecd_c.jpg

8856525313_4a78945180_c.jpg

8857124678_edbb574880_c.jpg

Sadly 90% of my pictures blurred from my tripod slowly sinking into the mud so I guess a return visit will be on the cards

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Lovely bit of history there mate..old pics and map win :)

Paulpowers

OS Member
Reaction score
Need a return visit over summer when it's dryer :D

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Lol, just a spur of the moment wade in knee deep mud then? You kill me Mr P!!

Excellent as usual (y)

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
ever ready ey Paul. Great report and pics chuck

S

Scattergun

This is right up my street, a bit of maritime history followed by a tunnel :) Looks cramped foul down there, just the sorta thing I like. The shots that did come out came out well mate, hope to see the return visit soon! I've done a lot of research on the Glasgow docks and the Clyde redevelopment so this was enjoyable reading :)

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Interesting, nice pics and report :)

Status
Not open for further replies.