Contact the team

France Pottery - April 2019

Urban Relics

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Website
www.urbanrelics.be
The entrance to this building was quite spectacular. We had to climb in through a window... on the second floor! Okay, maybe not all that spectacular for some of you, but for someone who's ehm... not good with hights, it took some persuasiveness to get me inside the damn building. But I did it! And boy, am I glad I did! A big plus of these spots with a difficult entrance is that thieves, vandals and spray can wielding imbeciles tend to stay out. Everything that had fallen into disrepair inside the building could be attributed to natural causes and unfortunately that is getting to be something exceptional these days... It made the explore all the more fun and interesting. A little dangerous too. In some places the floors had already collapsed under the immense weight of the shelves with heavy pottery malls. It on't be too long until everything collapses.

A bit of background:
The reputation of the pottery produced here is almost legendary. Over the two centuries that this family business existed, it has generated a host of loyal admirers worldwide. The collection consisted of all kinds of earthenware pieces, such as crockery, vases and flower pots, but also art objects, frescoes and even stoves. The factory was founded in 1790, but initially faced major problems, including difficulties with the supply of raw materials, but also hostility and distrust of the population. In addition, competition from mainly English producers was fierce. Around the turn of the century the factory was taken over by an inventive young German, who quickly managed to turn the tide through the introduction of new decoration techniques and the use of the finest raw materials. Napoleon became one of the primary customers, so the orders quickly came in and the company was forced to expand. The current factory, including this mold storage facility, dates from this period of expansion between 1850 and 1860. During the glory period, the company employed more than 3200 employees. The end of the 1970s marked a turning point. The company was by then taken over by another family, which stopped the production of crockery to focus on the production of tile for walls and floors. In the early 2000s, the business took a turn for the worse and was left with about 100 employees trying to keep the company afloat. Hardly 5 years later, the company goes into liquidation anyay. Shortly afterwards, the court declared bankruptcy and the curtain fell on two centuries of industrial history…

Pottery01.jpg

Pottery02.jpg

Pottery03.jpg

Pottery04.jpg

Pottery05.jpg

Pottery06.jpg

Pottery07.jpg

Pottery08.jpg

Pottery09.jpg

Pottery10.jpg

Pottery11.jpg

Pottery12.jpg

Pottery13.jpg

Pottery14.jpg

Pottery15.jpg

Pottery16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Looks like a nice place, no graffiti or vandalism, and you've taken some incredible photos there ? Can you let me know roughly when you visited so I can add it to the title of the report please

Sectionate

OS Full member
Reaction score
They are some fantastic photos. Is this UK or abroad? My sort of place

BikinGlynn

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Yes thats a cracker, love the little trolley system nicely done!

Urban Relics

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Website
www.urbanrelics.be
Looks like a nice place, no graffiti or vandalism, and you've taken some incredible photos there ? Can you let me know roughly when you visited so I can add it to the title of the report please
Oops... Sorry, I forgot. This visit is from April 28th.

And thank you so much for the nice compliment :)

Petsi555

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Urban Relics, post: 86714, miembro: 1953"]
La entrada a este edificio fue bastante espectacular. Tuvimos que trepar por una ventana ... ¡en el segundo piso! Bueno, tal vez no sea tan espectacular para algunos de ustedes, pero para alguien que es ehm ... no es bueno con lo alto , me costó persuasión meterme dentro del maldito edificio. ¡Pero lo hice! Y chico, me alegro de haberlo hecho! Una gran ventaja de estos lugares con una entrada difícil es que los ladrones, los vándalos y las latas de aerosol que manejan los imbéciles tienden a mantenerse al margen. Todo lo que se había deteriorado en el interior del edificio podía atribuirse a causas naturales y, lamentablemente, esto se está convirtiendo en algo excepcional en estos días ... hizo que explorar fuera aún más divertido e interesante. Un poco peligroso también. En algunos lugares, los pisos ya se habían derrumbado bajo el inmenso peso de los estantes con pesados centros comerciales de cerámica. No pasará mucho tiempo hasta que todo se derrumbe.

Un poco de fondo:
La reputación de la cerámica producida aquí es casi legendaria. A lo largo de los dos siglos que existió este negocio familiar, ha generado una gran cantidad de admiradores leales en todo el mundo. La colección consistía en todo tipo de piezas de barro, como vajilla, jarrones y macetas, pero también objetos de arte, frescos y hasta estufas. La fábrica se fundó en 1790, pero inicialmente enfrentó grandes problemas, incluyendo dificultades con el suministro de materias primas, pero también hostilidad y desconfianza de la población. Además, la competencia de productores principalmente ingleses fue feroz. A finales de siglo, la fábrica fue tomada por un joven alemán inventivo, que rápidamente logró cambiar el rumbo a través de la introducción de nuevas técnicas de decoración y el uso de las mejores materias primas. Napoleón se convirtió en uno de los principales clientes, por lo que los pedidos llegaron rápidamente y la empresa se vio obligada a expandirse. La fábrica actual, incluida esta instalación de almacenamiento de moldes, data de este período de expansión entre 1850 y 1860. Durante el período de gloria, la compañía empleó a más de 3200 empleados. El final de la década de 1970 marcó un punto de inflexión. Para entonces, otra empresa se hizo cargo de la compañía, que detuvo la producción de vajilla para centrarse en la producción de baldosas para paredes y pisos. A principios de la década de 2000, el negocio empeoró y quedó con unos 100 empleados tratando de mantener a la empresa a flote. Apenas 5 años después, la empresa entra en liquidación de cualquier manera. Poco después, el tribunal se declaró en bancarrota y el telón cayó sobre dos siglos de historia industrial ...
[/CITAR]
Es un reortaje fantastico, me encanta este sitio y las fotografías son magnificas!!!

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Look very much like Cornish works

Ferox

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Look very much like Cornish works
Was thinking the same myself bud.
Cracking looking spot. And cool pics. Really like the small tracks running around the place (y)