free hit counter
Italy - Power plant for asbestos processing (06/2019) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Italy Power plant for asbestos processing (06/2019)

Andy

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Ruinenland.de
I found this place by myself via Google Earth, recognized because of many broken and leaky roofs on the satelite image. So of course I was curious what would actually expect us on the spot.
Unfortunately we didn't have enough time in daylight to explore the entire area, because we first checked another area nearby and later we had to hide in between for a short time, to avoid being seen by the security service (which drove with a motorcycle over the closed and fenced terrain). But at least we were able to visit several important buildings and the factory villa with a beautiful decayed staircase, overgrown with plants on the collapsed roof.

Climbing over the gate wasn't difficult. First we explored the former factory villa, then a building with the locker rooms and finally the power plant. The different buildings were separated from each other and from the paths and streets between with additional construction fences and these "orange plastic fences". But you could always find a gap.
The power plant was already half demolished. However, the demolition was eventually stopped and not ended, possibly for cost reasons. Therefore, some higher areas of the building were a bit uncertain and unstable. Unfortunately, there was not much left of the control room. Remnants of it hung at the demolition edge on the first floor.
Finally, we came across a part of the building that was still in use, with power and motion detectors. Further up on the mountain is still the former asbestos quarry. Unfortunately, there was no time left for it.

I could find five photos from the operating time:

asbest1.jpg

asbest2.jpg

asbest3.jpg

asbest4.jpg

asbest5.jpg

HISTORY
The mining of asbestos started in 1918. The works were all carried out without protective measures, whereby the workers were exposed to high risk by the asbestos dust. At first everything was done by hand. Machines were only used from the 1920s, which increased the amount of extraction to 36,000 tons per year. The asbestos stone was processed inside the plant and the asbestos fibers were dried in the furnaces of the power plant. 15 workers died here between 1922 and 1957.
After the ban of asbestos, the company was closed in 1990.

Even today, the entire quarry is contaminated with asbestos dust. With that in mind, it was maybe the best that there was no time left to explore it (because I thought it was a normal quarry; that asbestos was mined here, I just found out after our visit)...

Visited with @The_Raw

bild01.jpg

bild02.jpg

bild03.jpg

bild04.jpg

bild05.jpg

bild06.jpg

bild07.jpg

bild08.jpg

bild09.jpg

bild10.jpg

bild11.jpg

bild12.jpg

bild13.jpg

bild14.jpg

bild15.jpg

bild16.jpg

bild17.jpg

bild18.jpg

bild19.jpg

bild20.jpg

bild21.jpg

Last edited:

Ferox

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice find Andy, What would we do without Goggle maps :)
Some great decay in there and well shot as always (y)

Andy

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Ruinenland.de
Nice find Andy, What would we do without Goggle maps :)
Some great decay in there and well shot as always (y)

Thanks! Yes, Google Earth / Google maps & Street View are pretty helpful fo find abandoned places. I use it to search for further places along the route, every time when I plan a trip. And also in between, if I have time for it, I search on the satellite images for broken roofs and remote buildings that could possibly be abandoned. In this way I already have found several interesting places in recent years. It's always exciting and fascinating to discover and explore new places, too, that you haven't already seen countless times on photos of others.

Last edited:

Landie_Man

OS Full member
Reaction score
Oh man. That’s some lovely decay. The nice weather certainly helps derpy buildings!

obscureserenity

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Fantastic find this Andy :) Great report too, really nice set of images along with some old ones too.