Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

RAF Bentwaters..Suffolk

Mikeymutt

Oblivion State Member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I was out for a solo exploring day earlier in the year and I decided to head for a mooch around bentwters just to see what I could find what was different to the tour they show people.i actually found quite a bit.it was areally enjoyable to look around.a lot of the place is used as an industrial estate,and its nice to see it being put to use.there is active security there too who drive about..RAF Bentwaters was a former world war two base built in 1942 and was in use by the RAF till 1949 it was then taken over by the Americans who used it till 1993.it had a twin base up the road called RAF Woodbridge.several squadrons were based here over the years.the last being the infamous tank busters the A-10.it was also famous for the Rendlesham forest incident were servicemen from Woddbridge in 1980 saw flashing lights in the sky.it was classed as Britain's Roswell incident.funny most ufo sightings seem to be near American bases

THE PLANES

On the base is several old planes and helicoptors.a company does these up and sells them.not sure if the company exists still.as the same planes are still there in old photos I have seen online.they were cool to shoot though.my favourite being the two seater black navy harrier.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

SPECIAL WEAPOS STORES 

The special weapons storage area is situated behind the regular bomb stores.the regular ones are in use by a company.you know whe you go this area they held some pretty special stuff in here.there was prob nuke heads.CND always descended on Greenham common but in reality I think a lot of the American bases stored nukes.the stores are surrounded by several fence and barb wire and razor wire on top.you enter via a large double gate.once in the gate area number one gate would close and you would be trapped between two.you would then be authorized and allowed in.there is a tower above the gate house with machine gun apertures in there over looking he gate area.further in is a watch tower.and down the other end is a block,this looks like a garage but behind the shutter would be a Humme ready to ride out if under attack.the building also had machine gun apertures fscing in direct line down the main stores.also lots of telegraph poles were dotted around the compound,if Russian helicoptors carrying spetsnaz special forces were to try and land the poles would slow that down.these were serious times in the cold war

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

SITE SECURITY

With a base this size security was heavy,i managed to get in the police block,but the dog section was well sealed sadly.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE STAR WARS BUILDING

To the rear of the site sit this building what is nicknamed the star wars building.this is because of basically the huge concrete shaped blast walls that surround it.the building itself is basically a block building.this was for the pilots.situated near the pens it was used for debriefing and briefing the pilots and there was toillets and showers and locker rooms,even a small medical room.i learnt after it is hired out now and again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

THE VEICHLES

Dotted around the airfield is several trucks.some real nice examples on here.shame they are in a state

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DEPUTY COMMANDER OPERATIONS 

This block when I looked through the windows looked so good.i was struggling to find a way in and nearly gave up.then I found a small gap and I was in.its one of the most decayed buildings I have been in.you could almost feel the damp and smell it in here.the deputy commander was in charge of being in contact and organisation of operatiox with other countries so basically he would work closely with there NATO aliies.there is a bunker building next door sadly that was a no go.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

RANDOM AIRFIELD STUFF

This was the rules board for civilians visiting around the runway and taxiway areas.

image.jpeg

At either end of the airfield is a pair of buildings.these would act as a safety line if planes were in trouble.a cable would be pulled up to stop the planes over shooting the runway if they suffered some sort of problem.in the roomy you can still see the hole in the wall and plinth for whatever mechanism was used.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

nother watch tower to overlook the airfield.this one is in a right dilapidated state.

image.jpeg

Two of many hangars around the back end of the airfield.most of these had the squadrons insignia on the door

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This is awesome! Everything you expect of a good RAF base, brutal architecture, razor wire fences and that menacing look, and to top it off still has planes and helicopters! Can't beat that!

Mikeymutt

Oblivion State Member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice report & great pics!
Thank you andy

really nice photos :)  
Thank you very much 

This is awesome! Everything you expect of a good RAF base, brutal architecture, razor wire fences and that menacing look, and to top it off still has planes and helicopters! Can't beat that!
Thank you Andy.thats very kind.i do love the brutal feel of old airfields 

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Bloody hell that ticks just about all the boxes really. Awesome stuff mate (y)

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Absolute top report that Mikey!! A little bit of everything and right up my street :)  

:comp

Mikeymutt

Oblivion State Member
OS Full member
Reaction score

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Thats really cool Mikey (y)   Lots to see here, liking the little medical room and the military graveyard. Nice work, enjoyed your write up too :)