Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

RAF Coltishall..Norfolk.June -August 2018

Mikeymutt

Oblivion State Member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I have sat on this one for a fair while.earlier in the year I made quite a lot of trips here trying to find various bits of it.I had been on a visit here years ago and saw some bits,but I knew there was so much more to it.being near to me it was essy to go regularly to check it out.there is security on the site and cameras.so you just have to be a bit careful.Coltishall is now used as an industrial estate with many old buildings in use.it started off as battle of Britain fighter base during the second world war.fighter planes off various sorts were flown from here including hurricanes and spitfires.after the war it was used heavily in the cold war and was designated as a V bomber dispersal site.basically a back up airfield if the aircrafts hme airfield was damaged.the last planes to be based here was the jaguar jets.these saw service in the first gulf war.with the introduction of the euro fighter Coltishall was deemed none essential and so the station closed in 2006.it was a big question what was going to happen to the site.then Norfolk county council stepped in and bought it and this raised a few eyebrows.there track record is not great.

SERGEANTS MESS

I have visited the officers mess a few times meeting up with pretty vacant and JSP o one time as they visited too.the sergeants mess though is like the officers mess but not so grand.here the NCO's could relax and unwind,there was accommodation provided on the wings and a new block added.

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

IMG_4737.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

The more modern accommodation blocks.

IMG_4755.JPG

IMG_4756.JPG

IMG_4757.JPG

IMG_4759.JPG

RECREATION

As usual with the armed forces recreation is a big factor.on coltishall there was a pool,gym and five aside football plus fields for grass sports.sadly the gym is a no go now.

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

IMG_4721.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

BATTERY MAINTENANCE

This building was for storage off batteries for planes and veichles.jet planes carry some hefty batteries so a place was needed to store them safely,also there was a bit at the front for testing and draining the batteries.it had a morgue feel to it and now known as the battery morgue.

IMG_5537.JPG

IMG_5538.JPG

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

BOMB STORES AND FUEL

A different way in was needed to do these as they are a fair way from the main site.and with CCTV covering the way down I did not want to get caught in the open.like most airfields the bomb stores are located a fair way from the main base for safety.and near to where they would take off.here there was a large building for testing the bombs and making sure they were safe.nearby is the fuel stores.not sure if these were for the planes or not.

IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5363.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5365.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5359.JPG

Fuelling depot

IMG_5375.JPG

IMG_5376.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5353.JPG

IMG_5355.JPG

IMG_5354.JPG

HANGAR

AS per standard there are four hangars here.several are in use.most of the maintenance work on the planes went on in here.to the sides there is offices and canteen areas.there was seriously nice airmans graffiti in here.

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4763.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

IMG_4767.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

JET TESTING

With the advancement of jet engines on planes there was a need to test the engines.coltishall had two testing parts,an indoor and an outdoor one.the out door one allowed the planes to back up to the exhaust duct and fire up its engines which would then be passed through the exhaust duct and through the chambers.the test bay is surrounded by thick concrete blast walls.

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

The indoor one was a similar style to the other.but this was used for engines unattached to the plane.acroos the way is another building,this was were they would repair the engines,they would then be transported to the tester.clamps on a rail would move across and grab the engine.it would then be moved to the exhaust duct for testing.note the array of cameras around the clamping system to monitior the testing process.

IMG_5509 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5515 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5511 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5523.JPG

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5518.JPG

The indoor one was a similar style to the other.but this was used for engines unattached to the plane.acroos the way is another building,this was were they would repair the engines,they would then be transported to the tester.clamps on a rail would move across and grab the engine.it would then be moved to the exhaust duct for testing.note the array of cameras around the clamping system to monitior the testing process.

IMG_5223.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5213.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5222.JPG

Thank you for looking.I did take lots more photos here but I could be forever on this post .with more smaller buildings.

Last edited by a moderator:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
A trip down memory lane for me there Mikey, thanks for posting these up. Been in most of these buildings when they were very much in use :)  

Andy

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Ruinenland.de
Great set & report of a really interesting place. I especially like the first and third shots as well as the swimming pool. But also the other pics.

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Wow!

What a report. Military stuff isnt usually at the top of my list, but this report is 10/10.

Great introduction, story and absolutely belting pictures. Just the right amount of processing, and bloody loads of them without anything being boring.

Top effort.

Mikeymutt

Oblivion State Member
OS Full member
Reaction score
A trip down memory lane for me there Mikey, thanks for posting these up. Been in most of these buildings when they were very much in use :)  
Thank you mate..I know how caring you are about this place 

Great set & report of a really interesting place. I especially like the first and third shots as well as the swimming pool. But also the other pics.
Thank you very much Andy 

Wow!

What a report. Military stuff isnt usually at the top of my list, but this report is 10/10.

Great introduction, story and absolutely belting pictures. Just the right amount of processing, and bloody loads of them without anything being boring.

Top effort.
Thank you very much.i would not normally do them this long.but after eight visits and hours of walking I felt it deserved a good write up 

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This is fantastic. The place looks awesome, and lots to see, and you've covered it well.

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Solid report Mikey. Loving those murals myself, especially the planes inside the hangar door

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Thats a really comprehensive report mikey, I love the artwork around the place and I've always liked a nice pool. Nice to see somewhere so vast so untouched from the vandals etc. 

Thanks for sharing mate, really enjoyed this :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeymutt

Oblivion State Member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Thank you all.i missed all these other comments and really appreciate them