Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

RAF Stenigot November 2013

suburbankarma

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
This is my first post and I'm aware this place has been covered a few times but not for a while so here goes.

Set off for St John's Asylum and was highly disappointed that all possible ways in to any of the buildings have recently been reinforced with copious amounts of 6 inch screws. Gutted ! :sad2: so on with plan 'B' and off we went in search of RAF Stenigot. You can't really miss place, the mast gives it's location away. Parked up and walked to the four now redundant parabolic dishes. Although it didn't make up for the disappointment of St John's we were more than happy with the visit even though we were losing light and fingers due to the cold.

History

RAF Stenigot was opened in 1940 as an east coast Chain Home radar station. Stenigot provided long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte V and the northern elements of Luftflotte II along the approaches to Sheffield and Nottingham and the central Midlands.

After the war, the station remained operational as part of the 'defended area', a line of chain home stations running down the east coast from Flamborough Head in Yorkshire and along the south coast to Portland Bill in Dorset.

The equipment and buildings were removed in 1996 although the four parabolic dishes can still be seen lying on the ground close to the old chain home receiver block. All the other buildings connected with Ace High, including the police house have been demolished with only the concrete bases remaining to indicate their former positions.

History brazenly stolen from here:Subterranea Britannica

_MG_0980_zps0fef3b6c.jpg

_MG_0914_zps314238c7.jpg

_MG_0953_zps9949da6a.jpg

_MG_0893_zpsd1a2eed0.jpg

_MG_0881_zps503b07cc.jpg

_MG_0859_zps809f6bea.jpg

_MG_0850_zpsd9e6324b.jpg

_MG_0823_zpsb58d9001.jpg

_MG_0763_zpsa6553b09.jpg

_MG_0796_zpse8a94c6b.jpg

_MG_0754_zpsccac89bb.jpg

Me - just to give some perspective to the size of these things :eek:

_MG_0950_zps913f2b97.jpg

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats a brilliant set from the place there, it does look an epic place and nice write up as well! Thanks for sharing :)

:comp

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Youve turned that fail at St Johns into a Stenigot win.

Really cool shots and loving the angles adopted.

(y)

Banshee =}

OS Member
Reaction score
Keep forgetting about these till they pop up ... You have captured them amazingly some fantastic pics here and great for a first report ... I must go see =}

suburbankarma

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lara - wouldn't mind returning on a slightly warmer day with better light. Great place and so quiet too :)

Cheers Skeleton Key - had to make the most of the place after the disappointment of St Johns.

Banshee - thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated. Not sure where you are but well worth a visit just to see them sat on the horizon :)

Last edited by a moderator:

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
man i would love to see that !, cheers for the report (y)

Canonfodder

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
You have made me drool. I could spend a day here trying out different angles and lenses. Love the colours. Thanks for spurring an old timer on!

suburbankarma

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nicely captured, I do like Stenigot, don't know if you are local to that area buy you do know that you were only 5 minutes away from this nice little derelict church don't youhttp://www.oblivionstate.com/forum/showthread.php/5589-St-Helens-Church-Biscathorpe-Lincolnshire-June-2013
Cheers Nelly, not local and didn't know about the church... I do now though !! Will be heading out that way again at some point so will no doubt check the church out along with the railway tunnel we didn't know was too far away either :)