Contact the team

RAF Upwood, Cambridgeshire - July 2015

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
RAF Upwood

The Explore

Visited in the summer time with Urbexbandoned :) It's knocking on Octobers back door and i'm starting to accumulate a backlog of explores and pictures burning a hole in my computer. I need to learn to stop writing war and peace each time and maybe i'll catch up to Septembers reports by Christmas :D

In the morning of this visit we decided to have a look at the wind tunnel site at bedford and managed to sneak past a film crew and about 50 people dressed in weird costumes depicting arabic writing and symbols that I can only describe as based on ISIS/ISIL/IS. Must've been filming a deep and meaningful play about war and terrorism or something, we didn't really give a fuck, but used the crew entrance that me and Session9 had used as an exit point months before as an opportune entrance point and walked up the stairs past a load of camera equipment and into the control room that overlooks what would have been the 8x8 tunnel hangar. We had a quick selfie in the control room which i later realised turned out dark and blurry and then walked past the camera man on the way out, said hello, and he didn't bat an an eyelid as we strolled past waiting for the "oi" that didn't come. Then we decided to swing by Cardington hangers. First time i'd seen them in the flesh and fuck me, they looked impressive and well into their re-fit. Later that day after visiting some family we headed off to Cambridgeshire for a sniff around Upwood. Nice and leisurely mooch, a few kids knocking about and a few dog walkers. We were just about to climb the tower and Urbexbandoned said she'd go first..... after one rung she looked up only to be greeted by a pigeon cack to the head. When i had finished having a laughter fit we made our way to the top. Great view from up there and a nice way to top off a top day :)

The History

(Stolen from Urbexbandoned :D )

Since 1982, the Nene Valley Gliding Club has conducted its glider operations from a field that occupies the site of the old runways. Initially these operations were under an agreement with the Ministry of Defence. However, in 1995 the club was told they would need to find a new home as the land was going to be sold off. The club was unable to locate a suitable new home and was preparing for the possibility of having to close when the purchaser of the land, Marshal Papworth, agreed to lease the land to the club for 10 years. This has allowed the club to continue flying from Marshals Paddock (so named by the club after their benefactor's death in 2000).

Much of the RAF Upwood is unused, closed by the Ministry of Defence in 1994. Most of the station was vacated and the land and buildings sold off to civil ownership.

Upwood is also the home of No. 511 (Ramsey) Squadron Air Training Corps who have been on the site since the early 70s. Originally housed in the old fire station the squadron moved to a number of buildings before settling in the old nissen hut church building. When the station was closed by the MOD in 1995, the squadron moved to the Upwood school. The squadron finally settled into the present building inside the fence in 1997.

In 2004 Turbine Motor Works purchased a large amount of property on the former base including the four C-type hangars. Their plan is to convert the property into a state-of-the-art jet engine overhaul facility. Together with the Nene Valley Gliding Club and the Air Cadet Squadron, this facility will ensure that the former RAF base will continue its aviation legacy well into the 21st century.

Part of the facility is now used by airsoft players.

The Pictures

Pano from the roof of Pigeon Tower..

20633379686_92256f47e8_b.jpg

20746620970_3843043049_c.jpg

Urbexbandoned's Nikon Vs. Cannon :D

20666306801_61296dabe6_c.jpg

4/5/6.

Three pictures that looked wank at normal size

20038594093_cd577a6152.jpg
20038605793_7baf46e493.jpg
20746485518_c822d6d649.jpg

20659654705_65dec75568_c.jpg

20666244341_56aaf48d86_c.jpg

Toilet massacre :(

20650379782_0db5317a9d_c.jpg

A couple from the barrack blocks, airsofted and graffed to death..

20659594385_e53eacb5d6_c.jpg

20650361262_8186da0256_c.jpg

Medical centre which unfortunately had been trashed in such a short time since closure, also pitch black in most areas. (now completely demo'd apparently)

20471575030_472b38e0a1_c.jpg

I had a nightmare getting a shot in here due to being tripodless but managed to salvage one...

20650366902_70a62e0f3a_c.jpg

As always thanks for looking and feedback always appreciated (y)

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
I'm laughing reliving that day! What a varied day of events haha! Pigeons love me, I can't escape the eau de pigeon on any explore.

Loving that peely staircase shot!

Number 7 (y)

I think I'm in shock that you've actually posted a report... :D

:comp

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice shots of the place there tagger and you should have mingled in and fucked up what ever it was they were filming :D

Ferox

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice set there mate with a great write up (y)

LeeLewis82

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
This is one of my favourite explores, whislt its now not worth exploring anymore since the best part has now gone! Great report it brought back memorys, i will miss Upwood

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I'm laughing reliving that day! What a varied day of events haha! Pigeons love me, I can't escape the eau de pigeon on any explore. Loving that peely staircase shot!

Number 7 (y)

I think I'm in shock that you've actually posted a report... :D

:comp
Really enjoyed this one and the bird cack incident still makes me smile. And for me to check my boots for dog shit on the way out whilst trying to identify the cacky smell lol :D I'm still in shock at having posted a report too haha

Nice shots of the place there tagger and you should have mingled in and fucked up what ever it was they were filming :D
Ha we did think about it but didn't push our luck more than we already had and legged it undetected :)

Nice set there mate with a great write up (y)
Cheers mate, glad you enjoyed it (y)

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This is one of my favourite explores, whislt its now not worth exploring anymore since the best part has now gone! Great report it brought back memorys, i will miss Upwood
It was a nice leisurely mooch the one that i enjoyed too mate. Shame the Med centre is demo'd now :(

Cheers (y)

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Sweet set of shots mate. Enjoyed looking at that (y)