free hit counter
Rank Hovis Mill by Night - Ramsgate - January 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Rank Hovis Mill by Night - Ramsgate - January 2013

Ramsgatonion

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I'm lacking transport at the moment, so I decided to take a walk and have a revisit of my most familiar UE haunt. Sadly the place has gone downhill fast - it was sealed recently, but they left it a bit late... Once upon a time the site was in great condition, but has sadly become a victim of its popularity with local kids. The building is still sealed up well - so after a comedy entrance, I was inside.

You could hear a pin drop - even though it was pitch dark, it was reassuring to know I would not have any unwanted company, after seeing how well the place is secured. I remember, months ago my girlfriend and I had a nasty shock while on the roof - hearing an angle grinder start up, before an awkward encounter with the culprits downstairs...

There has been a mill on this site for roughly 150 years, with the large silo structures built considerably later. As I recall, the site ceased operation around 2005 due to modernization. The site is now in development hell (the plan was to convert the Grade II listed building into apartments) - the buyer paid too much and couldn't make a profit, and left the whole site unguarded for years.

Anyway, as it was a good night for it, half the photographs are taken from the roof. The other half were taken while I tried not to fall through rotten floorboards... :lol:

IMG_2094_zps3369fd4d.jpg

IMG_2086_zps2bf7c03e.jpg

IMG_2067_zps99dec7a4.jpg

IMG_2077_zps68ddbc5d.jpg

IMG_2074_zps2cfddd76.jpg

IMG_2080_zpsfc4c0029.jpg

IMG_2071_zpsc466054d.jpg

IMG_2099_zps34119688.jpg

1_zps2bf46b7c.jpg

IMG_2110_zpsa28a21f2.jpg

IMG_2113_zps6da0d498.jpg

IMG_2115_zps0875c997.jpg

IMG_2116_zps3c1c753a.jpg

IMG_2092_zps97b34b73.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Good effort young man, nice to see this again, and good to see you're getting out n about again :D

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Your night shots are getting sharper keep it up mate!

Nice to see you got into the main building as they have indeed boarded it up well enough to stop most people finding their way into it,shame its gone down hill from my first visit just over 2 years ago..with you and si i believe..

Suggestion..you shoot at night on aperture priority.have a bash on manual with a remote on bulb setting

Ramsgatonion

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Cheers - I do normally use Manual, but my shutter release gave up on me a while back and I have yet to pick up a new one, then I'll be able to do exposures longer than the 30 second limit!

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Cheers - I do normally use Manual, but my shutter release gave up on me a while back and I have yet to pick up a new one, then I'll be able to do exposures longer than the 30 second limit!
There coming out good tho,i decided to opt for aperture priority in pre metro due too there being lights but still dark enough to need longer exposures its what ever works best..and i couldnt be without a remote (y)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nicee do like the place dont think ever see by night :D