Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Recover you Memory Card

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Ever had that day when you've driven 4 hours to shoot an amazing place, had a great explore and head home to find your memory card is empty??

Its happened to me a couple times, generally because I'm Scottish and a tight arse and only buy cheap memory cards!

There could be a solution and should be your first step when you get home.

I personally use Card Recovery it has saved me several times! Very simple to use, just plug it in and select the card and let it do its work, but the downside it costs around £25 for a licence.

There is a minor issue when using Raw format though, this programme converts .cr2 (Canon RAW) into .TIFF. Unsure why, but it doesnt affect the information stored in the file. I personally manually change the extension back to .cr2 and they work fine!

There are several free ones that can be used, but I haven't tried them myself but apparently work just as well.

MJM Photo Recovery

Image Recall

Smart Recovery

Hope this helps!

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats very thoughtful and helpful Good sir (y)

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
I've accidentally deleted my pics in the past, lots of file recovery to be had f.o.c, works every time, good thread to start, helpful to others

:beer:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
ive just re downloaded this software and it only recovered the last set of pics i took..the last version a tad older recovered about a years worth

Miss.Anthrope

Oblivion State Member & Raw's PA
OS Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made that mistake 2 days ago, i found a site called http://www.pandorarecovery.com/ its completely free it just relies on donations! it recovered over 600 pictures for me that i forgot i had even taken dating back to this time last year! it recovered my USB stick and my memory card! a really great site!

:D hope it helps!

Reaction score
Excellent, I may have deleted some pics off my memory stick so I'll have a look, Cheers for that! (y)

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,I made that mistake 2 days ago, i found a site called http://www.pandorarecovery.com/ its completely free it just relies on donations! it recovered over 600 pictures for me that i forgot i had even taken dating back to this time last year! it recovered my USB stick and my memory card! a really great site!

:D hope it helps!
sooo glad you got them back :)

Harry

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Can't say i have... but i've driven four hours to find i haven't even brought an SD card a few times! :(

peanutbutter_crackers

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Last year a couple friends and I were at a place and while not inside....were stopped by a cop and told we had to delete our photos. Well we did as we were told but looking back I wished I hadn't however he asked to see if we did indeed delete. Anyway I was not able to recover any of them when I returned home using any software. I was told that because I took pics after I deleted on that card is the reason. I'm not sure though. Another time I moved files over rather than copy as I usually did from the card and noticed I had almost 80 files missing. I was able to pull some from the card but not the ones I wanted. I sent the card back to Transcend and they said it was defective. However I continued to have issues when copying files where they became corrupt. Turns out it was due to the driver not being updated on the card reader. I had no idea it needed updated. 

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Last year a couple friends and I were at a place and while not inside....were stopped by a cop and told we had to delete our photos. Well we did as we were told but looking back I wished I hadn't however he asked to see if we did indeed delete. Anyway I was not able to recover any of them when I returned home using any software. I was told that because I took pics after I deleted on that card is the reason. I'm not sure though. Another time I moved files over rather than copy as I usually did from the card and noticed I had almost 80 files missing. I was able to pull some from the card but not the ones I wanted. I sent the card back to Transcend and they said it was defective. However I continued to have issues when copying files where they became corrupt. Turns out it was due to the driver not being updated on the card reader. I had no idea it needed updated. 

I'm not sure if its the same thing, but with a hard drive, recovering files AFTER any other activity has taken place is very very difficult. Essentially when a file is "deleted" its actually just removing a "bookmark" the system needs in order to find said file. If there's activity after the file you are trying to recover, that "bookmark" is replaced by another.

Every piece of hardware needs firmware in order to work, however nowadays windows is pretty good at being able to supply a generic driver for at least basic functionality. This can often conflict and produce errors however.