free hit counter
Great Britain - Regional Goverment Bunker SRHQ 4.2 Hertford August 2012 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Regional Goverment Bunker SRHQ 4.2 Hertford August 2012

jane doe

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
“Only three SRHQ bunkers are of recent construction- Basingstoke, (SRHQ62), Herford (SRHQ42) and Southport (SRHQ10).
Each has the same rough design, a All two-storey concrete basement below government office blocks built in the late 1960s.
Walls are 20-30 inches thick (50-75cm) and each has its own borehole for water.
Some one hundred and fifty thousand gallons of water are also stored in permanent tanks, and a generator room can power all the SRHQ’s equipment for a month, with a ten thousand gallon fuel reserve.
Two sets of filters are fitted to the air-conditioning plant, one for peacetime exercise use, and the second for war.
If the level of fallout dust becomes too high, air conditioning can be switched to internal circulation for a period.
The bunkers were designed to have a radiation ‘protection factor’ of about 400, and to resist blast pressure of 1.5psi. In contrast, the average house is unlikely, after attack, to offer a protective factor better than 5-10.”
The bunker was decommissioned in the 1990s . I understand that Sovereign House has now been demolished .and new housing is in its place.

Herts Bunker 008 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 009 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 020 (4).JPG
Herts Bunker 021 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 005 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 028 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 051 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 042 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 035 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 025 (2).JPG
Herts Bunker 063.JPG
Herts Bunker 075 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Nice! I didn't have the luxury of lights when I went. Definitely looks much better with them on. I wonder if it's still there underneath the new housing :unsure:

BikinGlynn

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Thats ace, cant believe they will happily allow pieces of history like this to be lost forever

jane doe

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice! I didn't have the luxury of lights when I went. Definitely looks much better with them on. I wonder if it's still there underneath the new housing :unsure:
Yes i wondered that a little while ago ....if back in the area at some point probably worth a little mooch around :)