free hit counter
Great Britain - Saint Edwards Home for Boys, Coleshill. August 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Saint Edwards Home for Boys, Coleshill. August 2013

Jammin'

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
This is my first post but I have been on several explorations. The first few I didn't take pictures just went with born2misbehave. Took a like to the exploring and wanted to capture the experiences for myself. So with new camera in hand me and born2misbehave had a ride to coleshill to have a look around the Farther Hudson Society. The first building was Saint Edwards home for boys. So we popped in and had a good couple of hours exploring. We never made it into any of the other buildings due to the presence of the local priest. Maybe next time.

History

Father Hudson’s Society was founded by Father George Vincent Hudson. Father Hudson was born in 1873 at Kinsham in the parish of Bredon, Worcestershire. He studied for the priesthood at St. Mary’s College Oscott and was ordained in 1898. A week after his ordination he was sent to Coleshill as parish priest.

Development of the Father Hudson’s Society Complex to the south of the centre of Coleshill began in 1905 when work began on St. Edward’s, a large boy’s home for Catholic children. The site expanded and developed until the 1940’s and eventually included its own hospital, nurses’ home, cottage homes, offices, a church and several chapels and three convents for the nuns who worked on the site. Changes in patterns of social care meant that most of the residential buildings had become redundant by the 1980’s and the hospital and school closed at the end of the 20th century. Many buildings are now empty and there are proposals to redevelop part of the site, which is in a Conservation Area. Apart from the Grade II listed church to the south and the former offices to the north, none of the buildings are considered to be of architectural significance. The present proposals include more demolition than a Development Brief adopted by the local authority in 2005 but the basic principles remain. For a variety of reasons it is not felt that the proposals will have a detrimental impact on the character of this slightly unusual Conservation Area.

null_zpsf99029e2.jpg

null_zpsd2a87e36.jpg

null_zps4638f0b6.jpg

null_zps318ca7be.jpg

null_zps98c484c1.jpg

null_zpsa9001ad3.jpg

null_zps8f02d525.jpg

null_zpsee9d9006.jpg

null_zps9fd697e1.jpg

null_zpsfddae3f1.jpg

null_zpsaca7af76.jpg

null_zpsaa0fb5fa.jpg

null_zps17e788d9.jpg

null_zps4b9c28be.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome and great to have you aboard .

All about team work First post win

Thanks for the share

(y)

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Lovely pics and first post! Thanks for the share!

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing mate, pukka little report that glad to see you have been bitten by the bug :p

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Great suff mate, welcome to OS

(y)

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Great stuff, thanks for sharing

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Great first report ! and welcome to OS :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of explorage and OS, fab report, look forward to seeing more (y)

Perjury Saint

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Crackin first report!! Got some good shots there, get yerself a tripod and they'll be even better!! :)

Need to pop back ere methinks... Got a lot of character...

S

Scattergun

I hope you know what you're letting yourself in for, signin up with this rag tag bunch of mental heads. Good job on the first report, well taken mate :)

skankypants

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice first report pal....and a nice set of pics...