free hit counter
Severall's Asylum - Colchester - November 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Severall's Asylum - Colchester - November 2013

Kubix_UK

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals visited here with Adam X and Unexposed Exploration on what was a very cold but dry November day.

It started off later than expected due to unexposed still being in the land of nod at the time we were picking him up.

when we arrived we headed straight to the access point and then the explore began.

after about an hour and a half we realised that the security Michael should of been on duty by then and remarked how he hadn't found us yet. we continued our explore and made a bit more noise than we wanted to but still nothing.

unexposed informed us on a way into the admin block which we decided to go for. it was at this point my camera died as this numpty forgot to charge it. :banghead :banghead

so a short and limited report but still a report nonetheless :) :rolleyes: :D

time for the history (stolen from Wiki) :)

Severalls Hospital in Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910 to the design of architect Frank Whitmore. It opened in May 1913.

The 300-acre (1.2 km2) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Unlike modern British hospitals, patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. Villas were constructed around the main hospital building as accommodation blocks between 1910 and 1935. Most of the buildings are in the Queen Anne style, with few architectural embellishments, typical of the Edwardian period. The most ornate buildings are the Administration Building, Larch House and Severalls House (originally the Medical Superintendent's residence).

The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990s following the closure of other psychiatric institutions. However, a small section remained open until 20 March 1997 for the treatment of elderly patients suffering from the effects of serious stroke, etc., as a temporary building for nearby Colchester General Hospital which was in the process of building an entire new building for these patients. A few of the satellite villas as of 2013 are still operational as research facilities on the edge of the site. This includes "Chestnut Villa" (originally Children's Villa), which provides laboratory services, and "Willow House" (originally Male Acute Ward), and Severalls House (originally the Medical Superintendent's residence). "Rivendell", a more modern building is still in use at the entrance to the site. Apart from Chestnut Villa, all remaining Buildings still in use are owned and run by North Essex Partnership University Foundation Trust (NEPFT).

Since 1997 the remaining structures have changed little. Architecturally, the site remains an excellent example of a specific asylum plan. However, the buildings have suffered greatly from vandalism. In 2005 the main hall was subjected to an arson attack and in 2007 the charred building was demolished for safety reasons. The five boilers were removed from the Central Boiler House in 2007.

In 2008, the sale of the hospital site, including its extensive grounds, collapsed due to the slow-down in the building industry.

And Now The pics :)

IMG_6775.jpg

IMG_6776.jpg

IMG_6789.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6844.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg

Me Being a Rebel ;)

IMG_6761.jpg

And finally the water tower which we didn't attempt :cool:

IMG_6942.jpg

Hope you Enjoyed The Report And Thanks For Looking

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Love it, cant beat a bit of Sevs, i love it here and you have made me want to go back! Shame your camera died but i think we've all had that happen, i have a few times! Thanks for sharing :)

:comp

Kubix_UK

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thank you :) Glad you like it. I didn't mind too much about the camera as I just love the explore. i'm more interested in seeing every little bit and every room than taking loads of pics :)

Reaction score
Oh dear breaking NHS non smoking rules! Haha, great set of pics, love seeing Sevs :) Sounds like you had a good explore there, that's what matters, photos are a bonus (y)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
A cracking thread that and your attitude to sploring is spot on

Having fun with its the name of the game and anything else is a plus.

Great to see you on the forum and making your self at home

(y)

Perjury Saint

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Good stuff fella!! Need to nip back here me thinks!!

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Top report and a great write up!!

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice sevs report mate,and shame no michael,hes a pleasant chap !

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Still never gotten around to doing this sadly, cheers !