free hit counter
Severalls Asylum (Night) - January 2015 (Visited December 2014) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Severalls Asylum (Night) - January 2015 (Visited December 2014)

Matt Inked

OS Member
Reaction score
Visited with Hamtagger and Session9

It's been a while, but I'm back and I'm staying here for good. 2015 should be full of awesome explores so I'll be posting a lot more often on here now. Severalls was one of the first places I ever wanted to do but due to distance it took a while to happen. We set off from Lincoln and had a 3 hour drive down to Colchester to experience what has to be the coldest night of my life!

When we arrived outside Severalls the only way in seemed like a bit of a ball shredder so we walked around the outside of the Fences for a while in the dark before going to collect Session9 from the train station. When we got back to Severalls we stuck with the first ball shredding access point and luckily all 6 of our testicles were still intact. The night then consisted of eating cold food from Ration packs, numb fingers and various banging noises from the ground floor. Hamtagger cheated death by about 3 inches when he looked back and saw a huge hole in the floor leading to the basement. (Exploring in the dark is dangerous kids) After about 9 hours inside we went to one of the bigger rooms to wait for the sunrise. Somehow we managed to fall asleep in temperatures of about -9 and woke up feeling colder and more tired than before with no sunrise :(

After another hour of taking some daylight shots we decided that the easiest way out was to bump into security (The ball shredder didn't seem as appealing when you have no energy whatsoever)

He was a nice bloke and said he always finds Explorers wandering around. He told us a story about how the week before he bumped into some Younger lads (Around 18 years old) who actually ran away and cried when he caught them and begged him not to hit them (Own up if you're on here, we won't laugh....Much)

We left Severalls (Without shedding a single tear or shredding a single ball)

History Lesson

The 300-acre (1.2 km2) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Unlike modern British hospitals, patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. Villas were constructed around the main hospital building as accommodation blocks between 1910 and 1935. Most of the buildings are in the Queen Anne style, with few architectural embellishments, typical of the Edwardian period. The most ornate buildings are the Administration Building, Larch House and Severalls House (originally the Medical Superintendent's residence).

The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990's following the closure of other psychiatric institutions. However, a small section remained open until 20 March 1997 for the treatment of elderly patients suffering from the effects of serious stroke, as a temporary building for the nearby Colchester General Hospital which was in the process of building an entire new building for these patients. Since 1997 the remaining structures have changed little. Architecturally the site remains an excellent example of a specific asylum plan. However, the buildings have suffered greatly from vandalism. In 2005 the main hall was subjected to an arson attack and in 2007 the charred building was demolished for safety reasons. The five boilers were removed from the central boiler house in 2007. In 2008, the sale of the hospital site, including its extensive grounds, collapsed due to the slow-down in the building industry. Planning permission was however granted in 2011 to redevelop the site.

Pictures

16011156027_1f4facd368_c.jpg

This is where the "Secreta" worked

16196983135_b9abde6966_c.jpg

The Water Tower with a bit of moon showing (I was hoping this would turn out better when I took it)

15577189143_4d5b1a343a_c.jpg

The paintings down this corridor must have taken a while

16170897826_02b8fbf1a7_c.jpg

My personal favourite from the explore. This room was pitch black and we were all taking seperate pictures so I took advantage of the lights everyone else was using.

16194883341_148d9f9cba_c.jpg

This is the Sillouhette of the Giant that is Session9

16195956872_c3bafbaaa0_c.jpg

Who's up for a double dip? ;)

16011027707_e6e05c2540_c.jpg

Light Painting took up at least 70% of out time here...

16194950061_57fd7f319b_c.jpg

More light painting. Either Security were blind or lazy.

16196876075_4914bea7f4_c.jpg

Toilet doors

16196907465_d6dc2c96e4_c.jpg

Thank you for taking time to read my report and Happy New Year

Last edited by a moderator:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Hahah, liking that write up :)

You got a good pile of pics mate. That tower one came out well, all mine from that part were horse cack. Probably fatigue and hypothermia..

Trying to get something planned with Session9 for ASAP (y)

Session9

OS Member
Reaction score
Great stuff mate - got some crackers there!

Bloke in No.8 must have taken a while to light paint :)

Matt Inked

OS Member
Reaction score
Hahaha!

I'm dying to get out again. Hopefully more prepared. awake and warmer than before too. I'm looking forward to Summer.

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Great stuff mate - got some crackers there!Bloke in No.8 must have taken a while to light paint :)
I have one of you with comedy light cocks sprouting from everywhere hahahah

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This is you with light tezzers :mrgreen:

15577840203_6b7fdc49bd.jpg

Matt Inked

OS Member
Reaction score
I was going to Post the cock shots, But didn't think they were suitable ;)

(Just so everyone knows, we didn't take pictures of our genitals. We were light painting Cocks because we're mature grown ups) :)

Session9

OS Member
Reaction score
Mad night of genitalia light painting - what ever happened to serious photography haha ??

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I was going to Post the cock shots, But didn't think they were suitable ;) (Just so everyone knows, we didn't take pictures of our genitals. We were light painting Cocks because we're mature grown ups) :)
Hahahah, yeah i'm saving the more defined ones for elsewhere lol (y)

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Mad night of genitalia light painting - what ever happened to serious photography haha ??
Not sure serious photography is possible when we're involved haha :unfair: :-D

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Had to check yours out too! Light paintings of people who look like giant willies lol time well spent haha! Great pics!

slayaaaa

OS Member
Reaction score
Haha love sevs, nice one for going it at night, never knew about those kids that ran away crying... nice pics. (y)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice shots and there and looks like you had good fun which is always a win (y)

:comp