Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
Shoreham Cement Works

West Sussex

1. The twin kilns run the length of the building

History

The Beeding Portland Cement Company was founded in 1878 and began producing cement at the site in Upper Beeding near Shoreham in 1883. Six Johnson Chamber kilns were used and could produce up to 144 tonnes of cement per week.

In 1897 the site was taken over by Sussex Portland Cement and was expanded considerably. Eight Michelle Chamber kilns were established, along with two Schneider kilns which burnt off excess dried slurry. By 1900 two rotary kilns had been installed, these are likely to be the first operational rotary kilns in the country. They were powered by DC electricity generated on site.

The plant was completely re-built in 1948-1950 and the arrangement of buildings that still stands today was established in the chalk quarry basin. These buildings contain the first ever installation of a Vickers Armstrong design of rotary kiln, which was subsequently widely replicated elsewhere. This installation was considered state-of-the-art at the time. Typical output of each kiln was around 550 tonnes per day. The establishment of good transport links by rail and road made such output feasible. 1

The kilns are 350ft long and 10ft wide. Slurry was fed into them and pulverised coal was then blown in and ignited. This process burnt the slurry at 2500°F and the resultant red-hot clinker was dropped into open ended cooling tubes. The tubes carried air upwards to avoid dust escaping inside the building. High-output levels coupled with this dust extraction method inevitably brought with it high levels of pollution. For many years the area surrounding the site had a constant covering of dust, giving everything a whitish-grey tint. 2

2. Evening light beams between the huge pipes

My Visit

I’d spotted images from this place pop up on the odd occasion and liked the look of those huge parallel pipes. So, when I found myself heading down south for a weekend I decided to make Shoreham the last stop on the first day. I did wonder why the place didn’t appear to get very many visits, but still expected it to be an easy mooch. I soon realised I was wrong! Turning up on my own in the middle of the afternoon with no info, I discovered the place is locked down pretty tight and the multiple security guys are certainly on the ball. But, I’d driven a long way, I wasn’t going to give up that easily. Fast forward and I’m below the huge pipes, hiding from the vehicles being driven around the semi-live site. The successful and rewarding visit ended when the sun had set, shortly after bathing the site in the golden hour’s lovely glowing tones.

3. View down side of rotary kiln

4. View of kilns from the other end

5. End of the rotary kilns

6. Rotary kiln outlets

7. Between the Vickers Armstrong rotary kilns

8. Feed into the kilns

9. The underbelly

10. Machinery inside

11. Danger Keep Out sign.

12. Quad pipes

13. Above the feeder end

14. Large pipe symmetry

15. Pipes through broken windows

16. Triple pipes

17. View from control room window

18. Machinery

19. Silos inside main building

20. Central avenue next to main building

21. Trucks lines up outside

22. Truck in front of building

23. External from quarry

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
That's a banging report AndyK, so much symmetry going on in that place it's unreal! Love it :D

:comp (SK wot dunnit)

DugieUK

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
Amazing shots mate, grats on getting in and thanks for sharing.

Dugie

Mark Con Smith

Oblivion State Member
Reaction score
That place is amazing........would anyone happen to know or a disused place, where I could park 40 cars ?

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
I hate to burst your bubble Mark but we don't offer a car park locating service on here, handjobs and reacharounds can be discussed however (y)

skeleton key

Reaction score
I guess a random question is going to get some form of random answer and youve certainly got that lol.

I take it your looking at hold an Event from the mention of the car parking requirments and doubt its for the UK National reacharound championships :p

I certainly wouldnt advice hitting this place up in mass as is semi live site and wouldnt end well. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
Did somebody say dogging?? :jump :car: