Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Snowdown Colliery, Dover Kent, July 2012

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Have driven past here on many occasions but have always seen security lurking around so when I got a call from Space Invader saying he was gonna go take a look I though yeah why not, Lets go join Him, Explored With Space Invader, Obscurity and Storm :)

A bit of History about the place ;

Snowdown was the initiative of Arthur Burr's Foncage Syndicate in 1907, but it had early sinking problems, with 22 miners drowning when the first shaft was sunk. Snowdown was the deepest pit in Kent, reaching a depth of 3,083 feet (940 m). The colliery was served by the Faversham to Dover railway, and a halt(Snowdown and Nonington) was provided. In 1945 the workforce was 1,876, with 1,523 being employed sub-surface and 353 above. The colliery closed in 1986 and the shafts were capped in 1988

And my Pics, :)

DSC_0006_1.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0031_1.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

And a few of the Admin Building

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

Was a good "mini explore" and luckily no security in sight any where (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Only just spotted this mate..often wondered what it was like in there now from older reports ive seen,Know i know..Like the tree's in pic 2,good stuff mate

Jesus

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice to see it's doable, sad to see it looking so derp though. A good report nonetheless (y)

There were applications being made by the australians to mine Kentish coal again recently, although as I'm aware nothing's come of it yet...

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice to see it's doable, sad to see it looking so derp though. A good report nonetheless (y) There were applications being made by the australians to mine Kentish coal again recently, although as I'm aware nothing's come of it yet...
Yes i did hear something along those lines aswell!