free hit counter
South Foreland Deep Level Shelter 1, St. Margarets, Nr Dover, Kent, May 2014 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

South Foreland Deep Level Shelter 1, St. Margarets, Nr Dover, Kent, May 2014

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
This was the one and only Deep Shelter at St Margaret's that I hadn't done, Mainly as in previous years I hadn't found it, I got a text from Space Invader saying he was at a loose end and did I fancy going and doing some thing local, I thought yeah why not so off we went and found ourselves here.

A nice aerial shot of the site;

6205007844_47c36eeb95_zps20f14d77.jpg

A bit of history about the site, Its construction and the fire power employed;

This was a coastal artillery battery with four Mark X 9.2 inch guns and a network of bunkers and ammunition stores, northeast of the lighthouse on the road to St Margarets. The site was cleared after the war, but traces remain albeit heavily overgrown.

Excavations started on 28 December 1940 and the first gun arrived on 25 March 1941, although No. 4 gun was not test fired until 28 November of that year. Their best-known action came a few months later, on 12 February 1942, when the light battleships Gneisenau, Scharnhorst and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen attempted the Channel Dash from Brest back to Germany. The K band radar at South Foreland started to track the ships of the Brest Group coming up the Channel towards Cap Gris Nez. At 12:19, the first salvo was fired; since maximum visibility was five miles, there was no observation of fall of shot by either sight or radar. The "blips" of the K-set clearly showed the zig-zagging of the ships and full battery salvo firing began without verifying fall-of-shot. 33 rounds were fired at the German ships, which were moving out of range at 30 kn (35 mph; 56 km/h). Initially it was thought that four hits had been made, but the Germans revealed that all had missed.

By the end of the war the four guns had expended 2,248 shells, most in the months before and after the Normandy landings. 28 enemy ships were confirmed sunk between all the coastal batteries around Dover and the deterrent effect was significant

A couple of Original photos from when the site was in full operation

SouthForeland0006Small_zps357ab6b4.jpg

SouthForeland0005Small_zpsb7cdf836.jpg

And the pics taken from my visit to the Shelter

SouthForeland1012_zpsafe61266.jpg

SouthForeland1010_zpsabda589a.jpg

NoahsArk001_zps7c6ded20.jpg

SouthForeland1006_zps320addb4.jpg

SouthForeland1013_zpsfc1293bb.jpg

SouthForeland1014_zps6779fba8.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look through my Pics, I had a great time visiting this place, I would Highly recommend going to experience it for yourselves !

(y) !

Last edited by a moderator:

Banshee =}

OS Member
Reaction score
Fantastic write up and fabulous photos great all rounder =}

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
glad it wasnt just my pics..but the light in here gives the shelter a funny colouring..

nice hsots tho mate its a lovely little one this

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Wicked report, love seeing the old and the new shots! (y)

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Cracking report SR, liking this :)

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I really enjoyed my visit here and researching into the history of the site, brings it alive, I have a few more sites to post up once I have uncovered the history on those too

(y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
great stuff silver :) , cheers for the share and write up !

AlanMowbs82

OS Full member
Reaction score
lovely photos mate and a great write up and history,

thanks for sharing.