Contact the team

South Forelands deep shelter 1, March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
There's loads of these dotted around the Dover area. This one is one of the better ones in my opinion, and is one of the least reported so it would seem, mainly because it can be tricky to find if you don't know where it is (where as some of the others are easy to just stumble across)

They were all built to a similar design, and all built for the same reason - to shelter the military personnel manning the various guns and other defenses along the Dover cliffs during WW2. They don't really have names, but this one is often called South Forelands shelter number 1 to distinguish it from it's smaller counterpart just up the road. incidentally, someone's been having a clean out down here, and the floor of one of the tunnels was swept clean.

Only a few photos, as there's not a lot left really, and there's only so many photos of tunnels you can take.

IMG_5283_zps34b633d9.jpg

IMG_5287_zps8777b057.jpg

IMG_5295_zps57d83302.jpg

IMG_5297_zps034d6daf.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Maniac.

Temple

OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice photos, love sites like this. Will get myself down there one day soon!

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
Some reallllly nice shots there Maniac loving them lots :cool2:

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Still some photos are better then none, considering it must of been damn dark in there you got some great photos :beer: , cheers for sharing !

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
thats quite nice for a tunnel hun, am liking it!

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice 1 Maniac, think this is the only one up there I haven't been in, some cracking pics there mate

(y)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Some bloody cool shots there :cool2:

Makes ya wanna go under ground (y)

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Cheers one and all. :)

@silverainbow - it's probably the least visited of all the shelters up there for some reason. It used to be a PITA to get into, but KURGs recent sealing mission round there has actually made access easier believe it or not - if you go up there you'll see. (y)

Timster1973

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Some nice atmosphere going on here and well taken too. Your signature spoils them though mate, I'd reduce it a bit. ;)

Ninja Kitten

O.S Friend AAA
OS Full member
Reaction score
what a brill report ! i need to do all these places ha!

HitGirl

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one, I'm taking a little trip down dover soon :) xxx

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
nice to see some bits have remained open up there. I never had any problem finding this one but i seem to remember finding it by complete luck years ago lol. Photography is improving mate you have some well lit shots there (y)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
nice to see some bits have remained open up there. I never had any problem finding this one but i seem to remember finding it by complete luck years ago lol. Photography is improving mate you have some well lit shots there (y)
Nicely lit mate..and obs is this the one we went in right by the plotting room?as yes i heard they where sealed apparantly not very well

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nicely lit mate..and obs is this the one we went in right by the plotting room?as yes i heard they where sealed apparantly not very well
No, this is the one by the old farm building, just off the track (look for the telegraph pole and you can't miss it ;-) )

Cheers for the comments obs and others - it's not the photography that's necessarily improved, I got a new torch which lights stuff so much better underground - Fenix L41. If anyone's looking for a torch around £50 I thoroughly recommend it. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.