free hit counter
Great Britain - SPRINGSIDE PAPER MILL - BELMONT - AUGUST 2021 - PART#2 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain SPRINGSIDE PAPER MILL - BELMONT - AUGUST 2021 - PART#2

TheBackpackExplorer

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
The History
Springside Paper Mill, where paper was made continuously since 1834 - originally belonging to John Livesey who had previously run paper mills at Prestolee & Springfield. At this time rags & textiles were recycled to make paper; wood pulp was not used in papermaking until about 1910 meaning Livesey's enterprise did not prosper & was closed down in 1839.

The mill was purchased by William Spencer - The mill remained in the Spencer family until 1972, it was then owned by Courtaulds until 1984 - in February 1994 a blaze destroyed a warehouse which contained 200 tons of paper tissue & cotton. The factory closed in the mid-2000s after being owned by the Canadian Tissue company Kruger - Springside Paper Mill shut it doors after over 150 years in operation.

The Explore
My first ever explore came in a very similar factory aged 10 that was situated behind my house & had been made derelict at the time due to a fire - little did I know where it would lead years later or that it even had a name what I was doing. Therefore, I found this explore very enjoyable - it is such a massive site & I made all in all 3 visits roughly 3 hours long each time - it is so easy to miss the labrythn of buildings & certain doors are the only access to most areas due to the collapse of roofs. Access isn’t a massive issue with some good map scouting although the front gate should be avoided as it contains the only newly installed cameras - no on site human security but the abundance of owls & a horny looking deer had me wondering if this was the new ploy of the security sector…

Here is part#2 of the Photo dump...

The Photography..

tempImagesnHqnE.png
tempImageK8Fjkn.png
tempImageDkfSfU.png
tempImagei2iIIX.png
tempImage7MHjqm.png
tempImageqKtZkj.png
tempImageHIDuKI.png
tempImage30Uk8E.png
tempImageYK4bIE.png
tempImageaFcu9O.png
tempImagecW4en1.png
tempImageRcGx7N.png
tempImaged4zWnC.png
tempImageqRG16k.png
tempImageqL2rcJ.png
tempImage7jXJfW.png
tempImageXtQwME.png
tempImageMv1rRY.png
tempImage39VmrI.png
tempImageFmcjPP.png
tempImage6NFC3m.png
tempImagegUanM3.png
tempImageZE5XqX.png
tempImageoZbNqK.png
tempImage12xyGq.png
tempImageprPdXe.png
tempImageHuawSw.png
tempImage8jmmrO.png
tempImageYdlJr8.png
tempImageyp2UfX.png

Thankyou for reading & enjoy the Decay :)

tempImagel452c1.png