free hit counter
Spurn Point � Godwin Battery and Murray's Post � Nov 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Spurn Point � Godwin Battery and Murray's Post � Nov 2013

Munch

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
My first report here so hope you enjoy.

Spurn is already an evocative place by virtue of it's itinerant nature. Add to this WW1 and WW2 remains gradually crumbling into the Sea, or being swallowed in sand, both above and below ground, and you've got a great day's exploring ahead.

This shingle and sand peninsula changes position and shape in a cycle due to tidal forces. The rapid erosion rate on this entire coast is alarming. A fuller explanation of the 'science' of Spurn is given in Jan Crowther's book 'The People along the sand'.

I was in the good company of Rich Cooper, my host and guide for the weekend. Having been here several times before, Rich's knowledge of the area made easy work of locating the various treasures although he was to be twice surprised by finds he'd missed out on previously for one reason or another.

We looked at the whole area from Kilnsea and the Godwin Battery right down the 3 �mile long peninsula which narrows to around 50 yards in places and tenuously separates the Humber from the North Sea.

We visited on the eve of the Armistice which remained in our thoughts throughout the day.

Pillbox �Lozenge e02903

At a bend in Easington Road near Kilnsea and slowly collapsing into the river estuary.

DSCF4109.jpg

'Murray's' Post �Redoubt or Infantry Post e02355

A garrisoned stronghold and part of the outer landward defences for the Godwin Battery. Included a fighting and communications trench system running due east from the post for 150 yards which looks to have had concrete lined sections. In the post itself, the lower section is flooded some 3 feet deep and the concrete canopy above the firing positions has cracked and fallen or, more accurately, dropped a few feet in places.

DSCF4137.jpg

DSCF4136.jpg

DSCF4134.jpg

Vickers MMG rear pivot mount, WW2 addition

DSCF4129.jpg

DSCF4132.jpg

Following the trench back leads to a brick-lined tunnel (at 53.623281�, 0.138533�) giving access to the Battery, sadly completely flooded.

DSCF4140.jpg

DSCF4141.jpg

Godwin Battery �e07062 � Coast Artillery Battery, part destroyed

�Important coastal battery, named in honour of Major General Godwin, constructed in 1914 to strengthen the outer defences of the Humber and house two Mk.IV guns on Mk.V mountings. The Battery was protected by a sea wall300yds long around the site to protect from the advancing sea. Behindthis two 9.2�BL guns were mounted in circular concrete pits c100yds apart. Between the guns were the underground magazine, crewshelters and workshops, the magazine roof being 5ft thick.� - Source English Heritage document �Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey, Bempton to DonnaNook

Some images from Jan Crowther's book 'The people along the sand'

Godwin 1917

IMG_00000016.jpg

IMG_00000010.jpg

Murray's Post can be seen NW of the Battery

IMG_00000006.jpg

Blockhouse

DSCF4116.jpg

South Gun Emplacement

DSCF4118.jpg

This was once attached to the magazines, workshops and shelters now resting on the beach below

DSCF4121.jpg

DSCF4123.jpg

DSCF4124.jpg

DSCF4122.jpg

North Gun emplacement

DSCF4125.jpg

Magazine

DSCF4126.jpg

You really can't appreciate the scale of this Battery from pics, you need to go there. It's sister Battery, Spurn Fort and two other Batteries will be covered in subsequent threads.

..............................to be continued...................................

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
A quality in depth Narrative and pics there Munnch

:jump​

Looks like a cracking day was had

beer:

Thanks for the share

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Cracking report and pics, really enjoyed that, thanks :jump

S

Scattergun

Good first report that mate, very interesting read. Had me researching gun emplacements very quickly lol. Shame to see it being torn apart the wayu it has but I'd rather nature was the culprit rather than some demo team.

Munch

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Good first report that mate, very interesting read. Had me researching gun emplacements very quickly lol. Shame to see it being torn apart the wayu it has but I'd rather nature was the culprit rather than some demo team.
Thanks, Fortunately, unless there was a pressing need, sites like this are left alone. Sea done the job here, it's all falling apart gradually. You need to keep your wits about you in the underground areas too. There are two river forts on the list out here too.

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
interesting read there, and very nice photos thanks for the share :)

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Excellent fella, love the history

S

Scattergun

Thanks, Fortunately, unless there was a pressing need, sites like this are left alone. Sea done the job here, it's all falling apart gradually. You need to keep your wits about you in the underground areas too. There are two river forts on the list out here too.
Looks pretty precarious indeed! Wouldn't want a tonne of concrete landing on me :eek:

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I once drove down here in my Motorhome, now that was fun, we stayed in the carpark by the light house for the night, my youngest daughter told everyone we were at Sperm head.

Cracking pics Munch, looking forward to your reports :p

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff, cool set of pics and a really interesting narrative !

(y) !