Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

St Augustines Asylum - Chartham - 2013

lanky8804

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hi all, well this is my fist post so im starting with something easy.

Arrived Sunday afternoon with camera in hand. Thought i would be climbing over and under fences but this place is wide open so just strolled in through the front gate :lol:

Place has been graffitied to death but was interesting to look around. I forgot my tripod so will be venturing back at some stage for some more pics.

Some history about the place:

St Augustine’s Hospital (1875–1993) was a psychiatric hospital in Chartham, Kent. It was founded as the second, or East, Kent County Asylum in 1872. In 1948 the hospital became part of the National Health Service and was renamed St Augustine's Hospital. The hospital gained notoriety in the 1970s when it was the subject of a committee of inquiry into malpractice and mismanagement. St Augustine's Hospital closed in 1993 and the site is now occupied by housing, although a few of the original hospital buildings remain.
Now for some pictures:

_DSC7003.jpg

_DSC6999.jpg

_DSC6971.jpg

_DSC7004.jpg

_DSC7047.jpg

_DSC7053.jpg

_DSC7055.jpg

_DSC7050.jpg

_DSC7067.jpg

_DSC7069.jpg

Not much but found the old school building interesting to look around.

What are peoples thoughts on a 50mm 1.8f lens for this kind of photography? Currently using my 18-200mm on my Nikon D5100.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice to see the old girl again mate..the spray painters have been even busier than the last report i saw!! :)

50mm is a great bit of glass i have one myself ,theres not much in the way of detail in here to photograph closely..but take it along with you and see what you can find

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Good effort, very atmospheric this place, the graffiti so called artists have trashed that wall in the Gym, nice pics keep at it ill look forward to the next instalment !

:D

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
That place has defo had the painters in lol Nice first post (y)

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice one. That was one of the very first places I visited waaaaay back in 2007. It looks a lot worse for wear now that's for sure.