free hit counter
Great Britain - St Mildred's Tannery, Canterbury - 22-12-2008 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain St Mildred's Tannery, Canterbury - 22-12-2008

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This was a surprisingly good explore. We set out origenally just for a recce, but ended up in a full explore.

St Mildreds Tannery stands along side the River Stour in Canterbury City Centre. There are just a few remaning buildings now, the rest have been demolished and are now rapidly becoming a housing estate. The remaining buildings which have been left because they are on the other side of the river from the main housing development, are themselves due to be demolished soon, so we had to get in there and have a look round.

Visted with Swamp_Donkey.

A little History

St. Mildred’s Tannery was established in 1860 preparing and tanning imported hides. From 1988 it concentrated on the dressing, softening and dying of hides. The tannery closed in the early 2000's and has now moved its centre of operations to an industrial estate in Thanet.

The site is rapidly becoming a housing estate, the main tannery site has been demolished for a long time, and is mostly flats now, but there are still these remaining buildings on the other side of the river.

Why is it called St. Mildred's Tannery? Well, it takes its name from St. Mildred's Church which is reputed to be one of the oldest in Canterbury and is practically next door to the tannery site.

There's lots of pigeon shit on the upper levels here and tons of dead pigeons as well, so it wasn't the most pleasent of places to explore. We only explored about half of what is left, as it was getting late and Swamp_Donkey needed to get his beauty sleep.

Apologies for some of these pics, I've had to enhance a lot of them to make them any use! Note to self - must get brighter torch for light painting!

Anyway, enough waffle - on with the pics.

Err, yeah right. . . .

image-01.jpg

Everything downstairs was a putrid shade of green. Why did they choose these colours!!

Image02.jpg

Image04_1.jpg

Spiral staircase of doom! Actually it was surprisngly stable.

Image03.jpg

:shock: :shock:

Image05.jpg

We then entered a massive washroom area which reminded me a bit of the baths in a coal mine. I suppose this was heavy industry and was pretty dirty work.

image06.jpg

And this room was next door, all tiled in white.

image07.jpg

Compulsory fire extinguisher and dead pigeon shot.

image08.jpg

The next room along was a massive manufacturing floor, no machinery left unfortunitely. The space was so big it was impossible to photograph with my little LED torch for lighting, but there was some interesting stuff remaining.

image09.jpg

image10.jpg

We then had a little explore upstairs.

Middle floor

image11.jpg

Top Floor

image13.jpg

Hatchway in floor

image12.jpg

Obligatory chair shot

image14.jpg

Then we found ourselves in the top half of the bit we started in, which had by far the best bits in it, as well as half a ton of pigeon shit. Seriously, we were crunching over the stuff, it wasn't pleasent.

Old machinery

image15.jpg

image18.jpg

Crane and showing the size of this room.

image17.jpg

Then a little room to one end of this space held the best bit of the night.

image19.jpg

image20.jpg

image21.jpg

image22.jpg

image23.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Maniac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
some really nice pictures mate, great looking place, not liking the green though :lol: who chooses these colours?!?!

Swamp_Donkey

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Beat me to it! What can i say other than meh! Il get my photos up shortly, but disapointed that ive still got no report up!

Swamp_Donkey

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
What an explore from a recce to why not lets do it. And not actually doing the whole site, because i needed my "beauty sleep"

Right heres my pics, sorry about the quality its actually the first time ive used my new camera out on an explore.

TanningMillDec08-16.jpg

TanningMillDec08-13.jpg

TanningMillDec08.jpg

TanningMillDec08-7.jpg

TanningMillDec08-3.jpg

TanningMillDec08-2.jpg

TanningMillDec08-10.jpg

TanningMillDec08-9.jpg

That will do, im gutted though as some of my best pics ive lost. Im grumpy now. I will try a retrieve them a bit later.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
That last shot has come out brilliantly!

When do you want to go back then :D

Maniac.

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one, Great pics, I do luv those old bottles. :)

Swamp_Donkey

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
And finally ive managed to retrieve my other photo's!

CSC_0033.jpg

CSC_0034.jpg

CSC_0035.jpg

CSC_0032.jpg

CSC_0031.jpg

CSC_0030.jpg

I hope ive not posted too many! But was a good explore, now to just go back an explore the rest!