See latest posts

Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse - Jan 18

BritishRanger

Reaction score
HISTORY:

The Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse is a grade II listed building and is the world's largest brick warehouse. It is adjacent to the Stanley Dock, in Liverpool, England. Standing 125 feet (38 m) high, the building was, at the time of its construction in 1901, claimed to be the world's largest building in terms of area. The 14 storey building spans across 36 acres (15 ha) and its construction used 27 million bricks, 30,000 panes of glass and 8,000 tons of steel

The overall design is by A. G. Lyster, the Dock Engineer, but Arthur Berrington almost certainly played a part. The warehouse was a late addition to the Stanley Dock complex and was built on land reclaimed from the dock. Stanley Dock is accessible from the dock system or by barge from the Leeds and Liverpool Canal which enters under Great Howard Street bridge.

With the decline of trade going through Liverpool, the warehouse fell into disuse in the 1980s and gradually into disrepair. More recently the building has featured in the Stop the Rot conservation campaign by the Liverpool Echo newspaper. Part of the ground floor of the warehouse was used for the Sunday Heritage Market. In 2010 local club promoter Sean Weaver held a warehouse rave on Boxing Day, which saw 2,500 people descend on the building. Acts included DJ Rolando, Kids In Glass Houses lead singer Aled Phillips, Hatchaand Chrispy, as well as a plethora of local DJs from the area.

Thanks for looking at my pictures, I hope you enjoyed them.

Give my facebook page a like & follow if you want to see what else my friends and I get up too - 0151 Outdoors.

E.

OP
BritishRanger

BritishRanger

Reaction score
Getting inside was the easy bit, and it was a bit disappointing, im guessing most of the stuff has been removed already, but I still had to check it off my list.

Thanks for the comment.

OP
BritishRanger

BritishRanger

Reaction score
If anyone reads this  who has exploring knowledge of Manchester, could you drop me a message about my next location.

Wherever I may Roam

Reaction score
Great to see an update on this place as this area a few years ago was a prime exploring site as you had the North Warehouse ,Grain Silo,Accumulator Tower ,Tobacco Warehouse & the Bascule Bridge to do but there was 1or 2 you couldn't gain access  to  :5_smiley: .....

I take it you couldn't access the Basement area where the walk in safe is?? Pretty cool that was!!!

Nice report  :)

The_Raw

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum admin
Reaction score
Looks like a big place from the number of photos  :2_grimacing:

OP
BritishRanger

BritishRanger

Reaction score
Looks like a big place from the number of photos  :2_grimacing:

Huge! Bit trigger happy too, just got a new camera!

Great to see an update on this place as this area a few years ago was a prime exploring site as you had the North Warehouse ,Grain Silo,Accumulator Tower ,Tobacco Warehouse & the Bascule Bridge to do but there was 1or 2 you couldn't gain access  to  :5_smiley: .....

I take it you couldn't access the Basement area where the walk in safe is?? Pretty cool that was!!!

Nice report  :)

I was about to climb over some piled up s**t that was blocking the basement when I spotted two blokes in hi-vis with torches, so that called the end of my explore. I may have to get back just to see that.

Any other current locations around Liverpool that you could recommend? I've got plans for a few already, but I only know of the 'main attractions'

Dubbed Navigator

Webmaster
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
That must have taken some time for you to post that report  :3_grin:

Nice effort.

Looks huge, 27 million bricks! could make a new housing estate out of that :)

Surprised there is security there though.

The Urban Collective

Reaction score
Really enjoyed this post mate some nice shots the building looks huge and pretty intimidating in the ground shot of the chimney nice one m8!