Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Germany Stattbad - RIP

Peterchen

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
When Robert Montgomery showed his exhibition "All Palaces" in Berlin in 2012, probably few have expected how limited the time of the Stattbad will be and how right he should be with his light sculpture "All Palaces are Temporary Palaces". Four years later, the location, once known internationally for music, art and culture, has already been demolished.

Designed by the architect Ludwig Hoffmann and inaugurated in 1907, the bathhouse was initially used by numerous factory workers in the area, as the tenements were then equipped without showers and bathtubs. There was a large pool for the men and a small one for the women. During the Second World War, the main building was badly damaged, but rebuilt in the 50s until the bathing operation was discontinued in 1999.

After a short vacancy, the STATTBAD Wedding was reopened with the exhibition "No more sugar for the monkeys" and quickly gained a prestigious reputation. As an event location, the building attracted numerous artists through its preserved 60s aesthetic. On the upper floors there were permanently used ateliers, the two dry-laid pools were used for exhibitions, concerts and parties, the best known being the STATTNÄCHTE with its numerous well-known Djs.

The photos shown here were taken in mid-May 2015, shortly after the closure due to a lack of building security measures. Jochen and his coworkers did not suspect that day that they had already left their last working day in this place behind. Meanwhile, only the curtain wall of the building remains, but new palaces are planned here, probably student apartments.

More pictures of this huge location can be found here -> http://www.patrick-hertel.de/stattbad/

Strange-Magic-Rooms.jpg

All Palaces are Temporary Palaces.jpg

Stattbad.jpg

Empty Spaces.jpg

Journey's End.jpg

Lichter.jpg

Nichtschwimmer.jpg

Nazis-ausschalten.jpg

Main Hall.jpg

void.jpg

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice explore and pictures.

Never heard of a swinmming pool being reused for exhibitions before, good idea. Retrofitted those steps pretty good as well.

Peterchen

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I am very happy that I had the opportunity to take some photos there. I have never seen more pictures of it

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I really like the style of your pictures, and I also really like the style of this building - it's a shame it's been demolished 

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Damn shame they flattened this, like your photo style too :)  

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
I agree with AndyK, I like your style of pics! I do love a swimming pool so this is great! thanks for posting :)