free hit counter
The church of nine ghosts (Permission Visit) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

The church of nine ghosts (Permission Visit)

The Invisableman

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Located in the northwestern Bohemia town of Luková, the ‘Church of Nine Ghosts’ first fell into disrepair after the ceiling caved in during a funeral service in 1968. Locals took that as a bad omen, attributing the structural failure to a curse, the superstitious congregation in the Czech village of Lukova abandoned their small church to the elements. For decades the ornate wood and plaster-work interior of St George’s has steadily deteriorated. But many residents saw the church as an important part of the town’s history, and wanted to see it restored. 

The figures represent the ghosts of Sudeten Germans who lived in Lukova before World War Two and who came to pray at this church every Sunday. Artist Jakub Hadrava is responsible for the ghostly figures which now inhabit the church. Since his work was added the church has seen a huge influx of tourists from counties as far away as Brazil, Australia and Germany. The thousands of visitors who have turned up have now left behind enough money to get much needed repair work done to the church.

At first there are only nine ghosts sat within the pews, this has since increased to sixteen and they can be seen now standing throughout the church. This place had been something i had wanted to see for a long time and something of a holy grail for me (excuse the pun) It took us a 4hr drive on a baking hot day with 4 other people cramped into the car to get to this place from where we were based but it was worth it in the end. 

Anyway, here is a small selection of photographs from our visit. Hope you enjoy. 

14168757827_0b5bdd2088_b.jpg

14286417451_a7594c2534_b.jpg

14095969548_ced9be5ec2_b.jpg

14280540991_2f8a59f64f_b.jpg

14128691057_ca3659a3ca_b.jpg

As always, thanks for looking 

Last edited by a moderator:

DirtyJigsaw

OS Full member
Reaction score
Ive always liked the look of this place too. Nice photos, and a cool location

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, some nice pictures you've got there. This is part of an art piece right? I've seen a lot of this place. 

The Invisableman

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, some nice pictures you've got there. This is part of an art piece right? I've seen a lot of this place. 

Cheers. Yeah, it was an installation to help raise funds fir the repair of the place i believe. 

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
What an awesome place. Would love to see it also. Thx for report and pics 

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
It's a nice little place to visit this one, thanks for posting your pics (y)

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Interesting place this one, and that's the first time I've read about the history and reason for the figures being there. Thanks for the info.

klempner69

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
That`s first class mate..reminds me of an episode of Dr Who from a few years ago