free hit counter
Great Britain - The granville [visited 2007] - 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain The granville [visited 2007] - 2013

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I visited this place when I did the tower in another report and managed to sneak downstairs while the caretaker took a call ;) this part of the building is abandoned and leads to the ramsgate tunnels, sadly bricked up as you will see in the photos:-​

Bit of history here:-​

On with the pics, this place underground and the redundant ballroom is stunning, the fireplace is solid marble which was boarded up incase it got nicked, they were going to do this up, but not sure now what has happened to it.​

RamsgateTunnelsampGranvilleHotel-100808003.jpg

Lots of stain glass with different towns on they are stunning this is where the main apartments are:-​

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808019.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808018.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808004.jpg

This the ballroom and is gorgeous:-​

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808076.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808075.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808074.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808073.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808072.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808046.jpg

This mural is stunning​

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808044.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808043.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808036.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808035.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808034.jpg

Now underground​

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808070.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808068.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808065.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808060.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808052.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808050.jpg

This last pic I know where it goes and the fella came back and wouldn't let me in there ;)

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808048.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808038.jpg

TheGranvilleHotel-12-0808045.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
That really is an interesting Building and it has bricked up tunnels (y)

I would imagine this is back in use by now but great to catch a glimps :cool2:

Cheers SuZi :beer:

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Incredible Suzi, Never knew all of this was hiding in there, Oh to get behind that door, cracking Pics

:cool2:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
great pics but im going to have to argue the toss with you over the leads to ramsgate tunnels bit if you look straight forward from the main doors there is a massive flower bed next to the cinema this is the entrance used in ww2 there is a story i heard of a tunnel leading from the caretakers flat many years ago but im really not sure of its validity there may haver been some private tunnels under it as pugin as you know liked his tunnels

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Suzy a question was the old granville bar as it was known many years ago still intact..in from the main doors on the right ,was the 80's when i snuck in there for a cheaky drink mind you

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Wevsky the caretaker did say that it lead to the tunnels and the cinema, and it makes sense when you read the history as they had the ramsgate sands station down below and then the people staying at the hotel could go down to the station I suppose through the tunnels, I know the entrance in ramsgate tunnels to the cinema is bricked up there is also tunnels under the other hotel place up the rd that used to the st clu and can't remember what it is now, I used to live near arklow square and have been like you under most of the tunnels in ramsgate. I had a basement in my garden in hereson rd that was bricked up but did not open it you never know it could of gone to the tunnels but the map showed it going to the park and up to dumpton. Thanks for the great comments guys, surprising what you find out especially me being a carer and talking to the older people of the town, they love talking about the tunnels. :)

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Wevsky, the bar was as it is in the pic above, that was 2007 not sure what it's like now. :)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Wevsky the caretaker did say that it lead to the tunnels and the cinema, and it makes sense when you read the history as they had the ramsgate sands station down below and then the people staying at the hotel could go down to the station I suppose through the tunnels, I know the entrance in ramsgate tunnels to the cinema is bricked up there is also tunnels under the other hotel place up the rd that used to the st clu and can't remember what it is now, I used to live near arklow square and have been like you under most of the tunnels in ramsgate. I had a basement in my garden in hereson rd that was bricked up but did open it you never know it could of gone to the tunnels but the map showed it going to the park and up to dumpton. Thanks for the great comments guys, surprising what you find out especially me being a carer and talking to the older people of the town, they love talking about the tunnels. :)
well the entrance which is at the flower bed from inside is oviously sealed up but wouldnt have been made till long after the actual station closed and dug for use during the war,theres plenty of rumours of tunnels under the cinema and the Granville hotel it self a lot of damage occured during the bombing so who kows what is left,also have heard about a tunnel going up from one of the hotels maye this one or the old sanclu towards the park..guess we will never know..love this old hotel tho have friends lived here over the years and the decor inside is still stunning (y)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
ah yes just spotted the bar pic..think they sold special brew on tap back in the 80's lol

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hey you could be right, I know the hotel suffered in the war. There is alot we will never know just glad I got in that ww2 shelter under the new development under the cliff before they boarded that up, I expect you have been in most of the tunnels as you and I have the same mutual mate lol who luvs his tunnels lol :)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Hey you could be right, I know the hotel suffered in the war. There is alot we will never know just glad I got in that ww2 shelter under the new development under the cliff before they boarded that up, I expect you have been in most of the tunnels as you and I have the same mutual mate lol who luvs his tunnels lol :)
ive been in a fair few bits in and around ramsgate thats for sure,managed the nice ellington girls school shelter which the found after they knocked the school down :)

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Wow thats an impressive building, seems you got a fair amount done when the caretaker wasn't there! Nice work (y)