free hit counter
The Grove Air Raid Shelter - Hertfordshire - Nov 2014 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

The Grove Air Raid Shelter - Hertfordshire - Nov 2014

Jess_RV

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

This is my first post on Oblivisionstate even though I have been a member on the Fb page for a while, I thought it was about time I uploaded my photographs on here! You will see that alot of my uploads will be in black and white as this is my preferred medium, with some editing. I thought I would begin with my visit to The Grove Air Raid Shelter back in november 2014. I have only included 3 images, as all to see were a series of tunnels. There were 6 entrances in total, which can be found via the grounds of a prestigious hotel, by this point alot of the entrances to the tunnels had been blocked up as you can see by the 3rd image, so there was abit of hunting to find one which hadn't been bricked up. The tunnels were relatively easy to find, I visited during night in the hope to catch some bats in these tunnels, unfortunately I didn't encounter any. All that was left in the tunnels were some broken benches and rubbish!

I hope you enjoy my post and expect more from me coming soon!

Some background:

The London, Midland and Scottish (LMS) Railway, with some foresight one presumes, bought a large area of land near Watford along with it's now disused Manor House for use as their HQ in the event of a war, away from their current HQ in Euston Station. As events transpired, by Easter 1939 with the on going approach of WW2, the move had started in earnest, being known as Project X. The full report/history of this place can be found here: http://rastall.com/grove/projectx.html

IMG_8752_zpsa2bh4afy.jpg

IMG_8758_E_zpsn87bf4eh.jpg

IMG_87592_zps1whdnmj9.jpg

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum! Thanks for taking the time to post a report on here, looking forward to more from you. Feel free to post a few more photos on your threads and if you need anything just shout (y)

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Jess, you'd be surprised how much people like pictures of tunnels on here! :D I'll move this into the short reports section and look forward to seeing some more from you (y)

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Jess, some nice pics there. Look forward to more :)

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
mmm tunnels :mrgreen: Welcome to the forum :)

Jess_RV

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Someone mention tunnels :)

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome along, nice to see you pop a report up already and I'm partial to a bit of monochrome :D