free hit counter
Germany - The Kristall Palast. Magdegurg. 2022 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Germany The Kristall Palast. Magdegurg. 2022

Grindle

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
1683869942620.png

Why the fuck did they build it here? smack bang on a busy X road intersection? I need to use that strategically placed portaloo.... no not for the obvious as I have a loathing of using public conveniences.

The clue is in the words "strategically placed"

pastedGraphic.png

The blurb tells us that The Kristall Palast was Magdeburg's "most famous concert venue" ( self praise is no recommendation); it was constructed between 1889-1892.

pastedGraphic_1.png

So after hanging about on the street corner for several minutes pacing up and down like a street hooker awaiting her next client the voices started, and they were all correct, stop wasting time, get up get your leg over and land (gracefully if you can without injuring yourself) on the other side of the fence.

pastedGraphic_2.png

pastedGraphic_3.png

Who am I to argue with the voices.

pastedGraphic_4.png

As you can see, it is badly decayed a complete wreck really, a few interesting bits in the basement

pastedGraphic_5.png

Coat hanging racks on the wall and some discarded on the floor, these would look good upcycled

pastedGraphic_6.png

Some original paintwork still visible

pastedGraphic_7.png

pastedGraphic_8.png

pastedGraphic_9.png

Loved finding these, some cuban heeled dancer's/ performer's shoes, the laces still tied.

pastedGraphic_10.png

During WW2, the building was used as an internment camp for foreign workers and prisoners of war, housing up to 1400 individuals.

pastedGraphic_11.png

It sustained extensive damage during allied bombing raids, but was repaired and restored for its original purpose as a music hall in 1949.

The Palace consisted of the main theatre which could entertain over 2500 people, as well as dining functions and bars.

pastedGraphic_12.png

pastedGraphic_13.png

pastedGraphic_14.png

pastedGraphic_15.png

pastedGraphic_16.png

Although the numbers of patrons to the venue steadily declined, it continued to operate until finally closing in 1986.

pastedGraphic_17.png

pastedGraphic_18.png

pastedGraphic_19.png

pastedGraphic_20.png

pastedGraphic_21.png

pastedGraphic_22.png

pastedGraphic_23.png

pastedGraphic_24.png

pastedGraphic_25.png

pastedGraphic_26.png

It has remained empty since, i think "fucked" is a good word to descibe the place.

pastedGraphic_27.png

pastedGraphic_28.png

pastedGraphic_29.png

pastedGraphic_30.png

A set of stone steps to another basement area

pastedGraphic_31.png

pastedGraphic_32.png

In 2011, a charity was set up with the intention of revitalising the Crystal Palace as a cultural site in the city. I think it is safe to say that idea was as "fucked" as the building.

1683869842647.png

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting to still see a few original features and the archive pics of how it used to look