free hit counter
The Pig Research Centre (Not Hendon) - Stotfold - May 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

The Pig Research Centre (Not Hendon) - Stotfold - May 2013

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Forgive me lord for I am about to post a derp!!!!

I saw Ghosts report on this and thought, that's interesting, I happen to pass that every other Friday when I go to Bedford to pick up my daughter

This history comes from a 2007 article on the swine based webpage "The Pig Site", I shit you not!!

UK - The MLC's Pig Development Unit at Stotfold in Bedfordshire has closed. Opened by Lord Belstead, Minister of State (Lords), Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Foods in November 1984, the centre has been at the forefront of practical research and investigation into production techniques, meat quality and genetic performance. Over the years the unit has undergone many changes, but always firmly aimed at delivering practical opportunities and trial work that could be quickly disseminated and implemented on commercial pig farms. The British pig industry owes a huge debt of gratitude to the staff, scientists - and the pigs - that have provided such a vital link in its development for more than 20 years.

At its peak MLC Stotfold employed 10 staff and had a 300-sow farrow to finish operation. However, major changes in the industry, and a fundamental shift in the strategy of the British Pig Executive (BPEX), meant it was no longer needed. The unit has been gradually wound down during the past six months and the remaining two members fo staff, unit manager Lisa Taylor and stockman Malcolm Day, have now been made redundant. BPEX is currently exploring the possibility of site redevelopment and has applied for planning permission"

Visited with my daughter "Mimi Urbex"

IMG_4507e_zpse8fee46c.jpg

IMG_4527e_zps661fe436.jpg

IMG_4509e_zps5b637c8a.jpg

IMG_4511e_zps16d87540.jpg

Pig body fridges!! Winner!!!

IMG_4514e_zpsfab5c9c5.jpg

IMG_4516e_zpse24743f6.jpg

IMG_4518e_zpse5596b5e.jpg

IMG_4519e_zps383fb2d2.jpg

IMG_4520e_zpsabd81931.jpg

IMG_4522e_zpsb4f66484.jpg

IMG_4523e_zps5d6cd552.jpg

IMG_4524e_zpsd69f758d.jpg

IMG_4526e_zpsad18fa1a.jpg

Urm!! Ghost, wasn't you down here a while ago? I think you may have left something behind :(

IMG_4529e_zpsdd03f959.jpg

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
That is something different! And who knew that so much research went in to produce a simple bacon sandwich! Nice one Nelly :jump

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Wicked Nelly, nice to see you back at it. Its not the same without you about:p

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Wicked Nelly, nice to see you back at it. Its not the same without you about:p
Thank you, I just had some shiz going on that was taking up a load of time, now I'm back on it like a car bonnet (As Rylan would say)

S

Scattergun

Haha! Loved it :) Some awesome shot there man. Nice perspective, really crisp. I mind seein Ghosts report on this also (nice inflatable companion btw). The piggy morgue fridge is always a winner!

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
Oink oink Nelly ace shots as always mate, good to see your out and about again :D

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
This is defo not the type of location we come across every day & seams to be a bit of Rurex & industrial combined.

Cracking shots & write up Nells , thanks for the share

:jump That blow up doll thing being there makes you wonder what else was going on there lol

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dubbednavigator

Good stuff, not seen this one before. Lifetimes worth of bacon sandwiches!

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
ace stuff, interesting place too !