free hit counter
Great Britain - The Post Office Railway (Mail Rail) - London - 2015 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain The Post Office Railway (Mail Rail) - London - 2015

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This was another one of those what the fuck just happened moments in my life.

So I was on my way back from (not so) sunny South Wales with @The_Raw @extreme_ironing and @sentinel after visiting @Lenston when I got a call from a very excited @Frosty. "Mail Rail is doable." I know by now if he says something is possible then he's normally right. We had looked at ways into the network on many many occasions, each time being thwarted at the 11th hour by something so this was high on our list and deserved all our attention.

Initially like a fool I passed on this trip. Well I was supposed to be at work early the next day and I was, for want of a better word, fucked. An enthusiastic night out drinking the night before had definitely taken it's toll. However on my home to sunny(er) Kent after dropping some people off in London, I realised what an immense idiot I was being and 4 hours later found myself back where I had just been with the people I had just been with (minus @sentinel who was sleeping off his weekend) emerging into the gloomy depths of the abandoned tunnels. It was an insane day.

The Post office Railway (or Mail rail as it became known) is for many considered the 'holy grail' of exploration, especially in London. I can understand why, you've got an entire abandoned miniature underground railway complete with stations, rolling stock, miles of tunnel and the powers still on. It's pretty cool. You can walk for miles under London's streets and not really know where you are and it's also not that easy to access.

It was constructed in the early part of the 20th century to link together some of the main London sorting offices and alleviate delays that occurred in moving mail around London on the surface. Construction started in 1915, but was suspended just over a year later due to labour shortages. The line was eventually completed and became available for use during 1927 and was in service from February 1928 onward.

I could go into the detailed history of the railway and it's design, but I'd be writing for ages and there's plenty online about it if you want to do some research. Needless to say that by the early 2000's the system was in need of major investment to keep it working efficiently and now only had 3 stations out of the original 7 due to relocation of the sorting offices above. In 2003 the railway was officially mothballed, but has more-or-less been totally abandoned. It would take a significant injection of cash to even think about bringing it back into service and there wouldn't be much point as there's now only 2 live sorting offices located on the route, pity.

In October 2013 the British postal museum announced plans to open part of the network to the public and indeed this is pressing ahead. In the coming years it will be possible to visit the station and workshops at Mount Pleasant and (apparently) go on a short train ride round one of the loops. I'm actually pleased at least part of the system is being preserved because it is a unique place and deserves it's place in history. I just hope they do a good job and don't make it too gimmicky.

What you see here is only a small section of the line from Rathbone place to Mount Pleasant. I needed to get home so I left after we reached Mount Pleasant. Regretted it ever since because try thou we might we've not managed to get back in, but we have got oh so close (oh you have no idea!)

So on with some photos. It won't be anything you've not seen before, but here is my take on the Post Office Railway.

Rathbone station is now a tad damp because of the building work going on above it.

IMG_1358_zpsdxpwlu17.jpg

IMG_1364_zps1xrxvaeb.jpg

Typical tunnel section twin tracks

IMG_1404_zpsjplqgdcs.jpg

Before the stations, the twin tracks break into two smaller tunnels and split apart to go either side of the platform.

IMG_1376_zpscs6aqw6b.jpg

IMG_1378_zpsjsmnvns9.jpg

This was actually an abandoned tunnel to the original western district office which was re-located in 1958. The abandoned tunnel was used as a siding to store locomotives and wagons in.

IMG_1371_zpsbi1widrm.jpg

Trains in tunnels

IMG_1400_zpsvwgpt59q.jpg

IMG_1396_zpsbfkk75y4.jpg

IMG_1390_zpsjdag5utm.jpg

Just before Mount Pleasant station, you have these massive doors, which I'm lead to believe are for flood protection.

IMG_1409_zpsbqtxkip4.jpg

IMG_1412_zps5z8wr4qb.jpg

Coming up to Mount Pleasant

IMG_1413_zpspsyzeiht.jpg

IMG_1419_zpse37vaesn.jpg

And that's as far as I went.

Thanks for Looking!

Maniac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Epic Mike, some great snaps there, was also a good weekend in Wales ;)

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
wow! I can tell from the way you were writing this was really something awesome. Scrolling down and seeing the pics I can see that for myself. Well done boys, another corker! (y)  

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Brilliant pics Mike and worth pointing out to others that some of these were in pitch darkness. Possibly the best night's exploring I've ever had and feel privileged to have been involved, took me about a week to come down from this. Never noticed that 'Welcome to Jolly M.P.' scribble on the floodgate (Mount Pleasant), that's cool (y)  

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Holy fuckballs x5 that's the shit right there. Absolutely fucking amazing. Cracking report and pics gratz 

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
Wicked report mate would love to have a go at that place sometime! 

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Some really nice pics there. Love this place!

Bonesout

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Fuck me with a prickly pear..... That's good. 

MrT

OS Member
Reaction score
Bend me over and do me dry, id give my left nut to get here. Top job lads.

Indecisive M

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Epic explore Mike. Amazing place to get into if you happen to be in the right place at the right time. It's never doable when I'm there! 

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
PMSL some of your comments, love it. 

It really is one of those places where you either need a substantial amount of time to invest into getting into it, or you just have to be in the right place at the right time. For us it was a bit of both. I can't confess to having found this route in, but it wasn't exactly a walk in, we still had to work at it to actually get in. (y)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice selection mike.. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss.Anthrope

Oblivion State Member & Raw's PA
OS Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a good night! or should i say good weekend... great pics! :D

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd see the day this place popped up again after the certain 'shenanigans' down there a few years ago, it's still the only underground railway type place I'd ever want to see.