Post a report or anything else to the forums

See latest posts

Latest posts across the community

Contact Staff

Our team are here to help if needed

Tonedale Mills & Fox Bros Dye Works July 16

MrObvious

Reaction score
Thought i'd keep these 2 in the same report because they were part of the same company. 

History

​

Mills... ​

​

Tonedale Mills, including Tone Mills, was a large wool factory in Wellington, Somerset that was the largest woollen mill in South West England. Owned by Fox Brothers, it was most famous for the production of “Taunton serge”, and later the khaki dye used by the British Army. The mill was established in the middle of the eighteenth century, and thrived during the industrial revolution. At its peak, around 6,500 metres of material was produced at the factory each day. The cheap cost of producing fabric in third-world countries contributed to the factory mostly closing during the 1980s.​

Dye Works...
Due to the acquisition of the old flour mills this became the cloth finishing works. Sitting on the banks of the River Tone, the mills originally used water wheels on the river for power generation, the housing for which are still in place. Later with the introduction of steam and then electric power, the water was used as part of the cloth finishing process, and was managed more carefully with the introduction of a reservoir and sluice gates. Within the reservoir, the water was treated before its use. The finishing works and dye factory were both on this site. The former had a boiler house attached, while the latter had an engine house added.​

​

Explores ​

Explored the first time with @TheVampiricSquid & @Biebs

After arriving at the mills, we'd struggled to find a way in without alerting the neighbours, so we thought we'd try the dye works while waiting for some more info on easier access.
when we arrived at the dye works, access was fairly simple, unaware of where access into the main bit, i'd managed to piss on it lmao, luckily there was shit loads of tarp laying around...​

When we finished up at the dye works, we headed back to the mills with a better route to take. This place was massive, and was slowly being taken over by nature!
after spending a little while in there, we'd bumped into a couple of chavs who thought we were there ghost hunting... Then they started to trash the place, so we made a swift exit. 
During the first visit i was told about the boiler rooms... but we had to skip it incase the police turned up. ​

so i headed back there a couple days later with @CuriousityKilledTheCat
we'd gone back to the dye works so she could grab some shots in there, then up to the mills.... after a short look around, we'd soon discovered the boiler rooms, was definitely worth the revisit! :)  ​

​

Shout out to M.S for the info! :p  

Enjoy (y)  ​

​

Mills

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

Dye Works ​

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

Cheers for looking! :D

mookster

Reaction score
Adore this place, must have been to the dyeworks about five times now. The main mill is awesome too, the boiler/power house is one of the best examples I have seen anywhere.

MrObvious

Reaction score
Adore this place, must have been to the dyeworks about five times now. The main mill is awesome too, the boiler/power house is one of the best examples I have seen anywhere.

loved it there too :p glad i went back for the boiler room!