free hit counter
Great Britain - W E & J Rigden & Co Brewery, Faversham - Jan 2010 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain W E & J Rigden & Co Brewery, Faversham - Jan 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Visited with Shadow, Frosty and Muffie.

This place has been in my mind for years, but it's only recently since moving to Faversham that I went and checked it out, and today being snowbound a local explore was called for. I expected the remaining buildings to be totally stripped, which they pretty much were except for one end of the back building which still housed some of the origenal equipment and thus makes it worth posting.

Firstly a little history.

Founded in the early 1700s by Edward Rigden. Registered in 1902. Merged with George Beer & Co (Canterbury) in 1922 to form George Beer & Rigden Ltd, when the Canterbury brewery was closed and brewing was then concentrated at Faversham.

George Beer & Rigden was then acquired by Fremlins Ltd (Maidstone) in 1948. Brewing ceased at Faversham in 1954, but was resumed in 1961 to meet increased demand. Following the takeover of Fremlins by Whitbread in 1967, Fremlins' Maidstone brewery was closed. Finally, Whitbread closed the Faversham brewery in 1990 and transferred brewing to Cheltenham.

A large portion of the buildings were converted to a Tescos supermarket in 1996, but there's still 2 or 3 buildings left un-used which we were able to have a peek at.

(History from http://www.breweryhistory.com)

Outside Shot. The building housing Tescos is to the Right of this building.

Image001.jpg

Inside shot, a majority of the buildings look like this, lots of structural re-enforcement. I understand from a friend one of the clauses when Tescos converted the first building into a supermarket was that they made the other buildings safe and re-enforced the structure.

Image002.jpg

Just behind that blockwork wall is the Tescos cafe.

Image003.jpg

Success, there's just about enough left to make it worthwhile.

Image004.jpg

Image007.jpg

Image008.jpg

At one end is this dodgey as staircase, but it's worth climbing.

Image009.jpg

Top of the stairs

Image006.jpg

Image010.jpg

Right up in the top of roofspace.

Image005.jpg

So there we go, not the most amazing place in the world, but another one ticked off the list.

Maniac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
well done for getting it done. Shame theres not much to it but atleast now we know! nice pics dude!

PowerSurge

OS Member
Reaction score
NOW IM JEALOUS!!!! :evil: I was told it was just a shell. Well done mate for getting in

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
NOW IM JEALOUS!!!! :evil: I was told it was just a shell. Well done mate for getting in
Can pop back anytime you want mate, although the stair cases are a little dodgey to say the least. It's worth it as you're just down the road. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.