Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Warrington Nightclub/Cinema - July 2014

urblex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Visited with 3 explorers off another forum. After visiting another site which was good but a bit bare was really excited to get into this place. The only downside is there was no lighting whatsoever so was relying on my flash & pikeying the other 3 guys' light. We had heard a report of some abusive chavs or junkies drinking from bottles left behind the bar that still had the optics on, but luckily (for them lol) they were long gone when we went.

IMG_0763-001_zpsdc0256fc.jpg

History,

The venue has been a landmark in the town centre for decades. The building opened in August 1937 as a 1,928 seat cinema. Before it was renamed Mr Smiths for the second time in its history, it was known as Halo nightclub. This used to be the ABC cinema, or the Ritz. The club was previously known as Synergy, and before that Mr Smiths for the first time. Unfortunately the building is not listed & is set to be demolished. I thought it was supposed to be demolished last month but just seen this from the local newspaper,

"CAMPAIGNERS have been offered a possible lifeline in the battle to save the building after they were given the chance to suggest alternatives to demolition.

LPC Living, the property developers handling the site, met with campaigners last week. Following the meeting it said a 'short window' was available to discuss a 'commercially viable future', although the intention is still to knock it down. A spokesman for LPC Living said: “We discussed how the Pervaiz Naviede Family Trust had acquired the building around four years ago and despite extensive marketing there had been difficulties in securing a letting.

“Prospective tenants shown around the building had reservations about the large size of the property, access issues, ongoing maintenance and the cost to convert to other uses. “We explained that ultimately the decision to clear the site was a reluctant one and was not taken lightly. While it is still the intention to proceed with demolition, the earliest this can take place is August 11. “However, it is likely to take a couple of months of investigations and preparatory work before the building could come down. Therefore this provided the group with a short window to explore options as to whether a community-led project could provide a commercially viable future for the building.†LPC added a further meeting could take place to discuss options."

IMG_0629_zps4258a5ec.jpg

IMG_0640_zpsd9229dee.jpg

IMG_0688_zpsc371a7db.jpg

IMG_0690_zpse6d265e3.jpg

IMG_0694_zps032ce27b.jpg

IMG_0702_zps2d19db44.jpg

IMG_0717_zpsb652dc09.jpg

IMG_0722_zpsdce764b9.jpg

view from the roof (felt like a vampire coming back into the light took my eyes a good few minutes to adjust to it again)

IMG_0755_zpsd5973650.jpg

IMG_0678_zps6dbd4e1e.jpg

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice write up and a good job on getting in the place (y)

urblex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks man :) gotta give credit to the guys i went with wouldn't of done it on my own.

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice stuff fella!!

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Nice one, would be fun to rock up with some beers and tunes and have a dance in there :D

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Nicely different is that, thanks for sharing :)

urblex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nicely different is that, thanks for sharing :)
Yeah that's what i thought, makes a bit of a change from a hospital etc, it did still reek of mould & decay in some parts, the toilets were a disgrace! :Gulp:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
And some glo sticks lol
I'd be kicking the playlist off with Saturday night by Whigfield

urblex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I'd be kicking the playlist off with Saturday night by Whigfield
Nice, second would have to be Set You Free by N Trance, an oldie but it always used to get me 'pulling shapes' on the dancefloor, 'back in the day' when i used to go clubbing... Really wish i'd had more time there now, could of gone for some distasteful 'dancefloor shots' :rolleyes:

phat rat

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
nice report! this is only down the road, must have a nosey one day!