free hit counter
Great Britain - WESTLETON. Suffolk. January 2016 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain WESTLETON. Suffolk. January 2016

Norfolk Explorer

OS Member
Reaction score
Visited with clarexplres and cheers for the heads up from Black Shuck a few months ago.... But as usual I only just got round to this nice post now.​

An hours drive and walking up the wrong side of the field to try and find the ROC post to start off with and eventually we were on our way in :)
This was the 1st time I had been in a ROC Post and actually felt how cramped it must have been down there. With stuff strewn everywhere you could hardly more. This site is listed as locked on the Outdated Subrit site and you can see from the images it has not just been opened up recently either.... So get out there checking other ones folks.​

This particular post opened March 1958 and closed September 1991​

What are they
Royal Observer Corps Monitoring Posts are underground structures all over the United Kingdom, constructed as a result of the Corps' nuclear reporting role and operated by volunteers during the Cold War between 1955 and 1991.​

In all but a very few instances the posts were built to a standard design consisting of a 14-foot-deep access shaft, a toilet/store and a monitoring room. The most unusual post was the non-standard one constructed in a cellar within Windsor Castle.​

Almost half of the total number of posts were closed in 1968 during a reorganisation and major contraction of the ROC. Several others closed over the next 40 years as a result of structural difficulties i.e. persistent flooding, or regular vandalism. The remainder of the posts were closed in 1991 when the majority of the ROC was stood down following the break-up of the Communist Bloc. Many have been demolished or adapted to other uses but the majority still exist, although in a derelict condition.​

1A8A1647_zpswlvicivm.jpg

1A8A1645_zpsuqxzubf8.jpg

1A8A1640_zpsmxvcyvqp.jpg

1A8A1635_zpsbyedbovc.jpg

1A8A1632_zpsr0scdesn.jpg

1A8A1628_zpsnttueqfh.jpg

1A8A1625_zpspvr21pgd.jpg

1A8A1620_zpsoumvu8ec.jpg

1A8A1616_zpskwohpfwy.jpg

We could have had some serious fun if this was still there
1A8A1613_zpsdog2orit.jpg

1A8A1609_zps8yg9y2nf.jpg

1A8A1603_zpsqdlfugwt.jpg

1A8A1602_zpsfph2uiv7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Awesome mate, looks in great condition and top shots there, especially those detail ones (y)  

Probably the first one of these things that I've seen that i actually like the look of! :)  

:comp

Last edited by a moderator:

Fekneejit

OS Member
Reaction score
Amazing, I didn't think there'd be any of these still that intact?  :-o

MrT

OS Member
Reaction score
What Mr Hamtagger said. Nice example this one, got some good little bits. 

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
The "bomb power indicator" gauge plan is cool. I've never seen pascals used in real life before, I would have presumed it was a made-up measurement for the exclusive use of school science lessons... if I hadn't forgotten all about it!

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Fantastic mate, some really cool findings in there (y)  

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Don't k ow why j haven't seen this on here before. Looks awesome, some really cool stuff still left there too, always a bonus (y)  

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice looking roc that is. And very intact nice pics and report thx 

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome mate, looks in great condition and top shots there, especially those detail ones (y)  

Probably the first one of these things that I've seen that i actually like the look of! :)  

:comp

My thoughts too, it's great that you found so much of interest there. And I've now learnt something about these things to boot!

Tomjay1992

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hello there ... please can you give me more detail in how to get here as looking to have a look tonight  :)

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Hello there ... please can you give me more detail in how to get here as looking to have a look tonight  :)

Giving out access details to any site on a public forum isn't the done thing, as it leads to places getting sealed up and points vandals/thieves in the right direction. Post up a few reports so people can see you're a legitimate explorer and then people may be more inclined to help you out via PM.

Britain's Decays

Banned
OS Member
Reaction score
You’ve got some skills with a camera there mate, we’ve been looking to find an open bunker but they’re always blocked off, so far anyway. Great find, love it.