free hit counter
Winchelsea Tunnels Dover, Kent, September 2011 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Winchelsea Tunnels Dover, Kent, September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
A brief explore from a month or so ago, visited with Space Invader, Obscurity and Wevsky, I have to admit that pics arent the best but its the taking part that counts (y)

Now for a brief bit of history borrowed from Sub Brit ;)

These tunnels, in the former Winchelsea Quarry, were used during WW2 as air raid shelters. They were constructed in the form of four parallel corridors with two intersecting passages. There were four original entrances in the quarry and two more which spur off from a junction at the opposite end of the tunnel.

The quarry entrances were used as workshops by the company which owned the tunnels and the other two entrances have been sealed. One was located behind the Westmount building and the other was located in another chalk pit in Tower Hamlets, where the houses of 'The Abbots' road are now located. According to ARP records of the time, the shelter was designed to accommodate just over 1,000 people. Some wartime photos still remain of people sheltering in these tunnels as well as many dated etchings on the chalk walls

Tunnel Plan

winchelsea.jpg

And now for the all important pics :cool:

SMCSEPT010.jpg

SMCSEPT006.jpg

SMCSEPT007.jpg

SMCSEPT002.jpg

SMCSEPT011.jpg

An almost transparent Space Invader

SMCSEPT005.jpg

SMCSEPT014.jpg

Well worth a visit if ever you're passing, thanks for taking the time to look at my pics :)

Last edited by a moderator:

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Thought us bring this back "in view" with an unashamed bump, nice little set of tunnels ;)

(y)

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
nice 1 gotta get myself down these ere tunnels you lot have down your way lolz :)

Status
Not open for further replies.