free hit counter
Great Britain - Workshops For The Blind, Stoke, Nov 2019 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Workshops For The Blind, Stoke, Nov 2019

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
OS Full member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Introduction
Initially I was planning not to post this, but, here we go.
I had never heard or seen of this place before until a picture on the internet caught my attention of the dividing hallways. The art-deco design was a unusual feature in this type of place adding to the interest. From what I had been told this place was known for being open one moment then sealed the next. With nothing planned it was on the calendar.

The Workshops For The Blind
Built on the site of the former Rialto pottery in 30's at a cost of £30,000 at the time. The works provided equipment used within the pottery industries produced by blind workers.
1937_ad.jpg

A poster from the late 30's (Source http://www.thepotteries.org/photo_wk/182.htm)

The works continued operations until 2011 employing around 44 employees. Unfortunately the works ceased operations in 2011 and in an attempt to make use of the building the city council re-launched the business as Stoke Disabled Employment Limited but by 2013 the building stood dormant. Plans have been drawn up to re-develop the site for housing apparently keeping the original art-deco front.

Sources for history: http://www.thepotteries.org/photo_wk/182.htm

The Explore
We had been up for a while and after what seemed like a never ending drive we pulled up and consulted the maps. Instantly we were being watched, a 360 degree camera whipped around to follow us make our way inside. Well, it was too late to call it quits now so may as well make the most of it, ey?

Anyway once inside the industrial grey colour gave us a glimpse of what to expect and it wasn't that bad.

49078560198_c38a3f5acd_b.jpg

First choice, left or right?
We went right.

49589147961_64db73849c_b.jpg

A workshop stocked with glass and other bits of either components or perhaps finished product.

49535741258_2e8674d008_b.jpg

A lathe and other workbenches.

49077610358_9d8bea7f16_b.jpg

Close up at f/2.8

49536425122_c8d0e51676_b.jpg

A workbench behind some machines.

49503682967_c568f94b03_b.jpg

Close Up of some hydraulic presses, I think.

DSC_9707-HDR_OSRep.jpg

No idea what this is.

DSC_9685_OSRep.jpg

One of the computers left rotting on the upper floors.

Anyway, we had more places to be and after packing up, messing about and then bumping into another group we made our way out.

That'll be all.

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Nice shots of the machinery there

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
OS Full member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Nice shots of the machinery there
So much there too see plus a lot of crap i will admit. Had a reminder to the AGA Foundry I did ages ago.

Short but sweet! Some nice industry there, cheers for sharing :)
Presuming you're on about the report and not my height, thanks! Definitely want to go back just for externals.