Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation



About Flava

  • Rank
    Full Member
  • Birthday 09/25/1980

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. This place is being dismantled very quickly so redevelopment work can begin. BIG thanks to Collingwood for sorting out a permission visit on this one History Paper making started at Stowford Mill 226 years ago, in 1787, on the same site as a corn mill, both using water from the River Erme as a source of power. Initially, paper was produced by hand, one sheet at a time from locally collected cotton rags and supplied to local customers. Half a century later, in 1837, the first paper making machine was installed to meet increasing demand for printing and writing papers. The arrival of the railway in Ivybridge in 1848 no doubt influenced Victorian entrepreneur John Allen’s decision to purchase the mill the following year. He set about re-building and expanding the mill, and by the mid 1860’s two larger paper machines had been installed. Over 300 people were employed, a significant percentage of the population of Ivybridge at the time. John Allen’s influence on Ivybridge extended beyond the paper mill, including building the Methodist church, houses for the employees, and the gas works. His descendents sold the mill in 1910, a few years before the First World War, and unfortunately, the business declined until the receiver took over in 1923. The following year, the fortunes of the mill were transformed when it became part of Portals, a larger papermaking company, which the current owners can trace links to. The mill flourished again, and as a result of specialising in the production of security and other watermarked papers, it continued to operate long after many other similar mills closed, with several generations of the same family working there. Paper production peaked both at Stowford Mill and in the UK in 2000, and has been in continued decline since, mainly as a result of changes in communications technology. During 2013, it was announced that production would be transferred to a larger mill in the Arjowiggins group in Scotland as part of consolidation plans to utilise excess capacity at the site, and as a result, Stowford Mill produced it’s last reel of Paper at the end of 2013. The site is currently being de-commissioned, and stripped, before redevelopment work can begin.
  2. By the end of 1895, there was a desperate shortage of space for patients at the Cornwall Lunatic Asylum and large-scale extensions were being planned. On January 25, 1897, the Asylum Committee chose Cornish architect, Silvanus Trevail over four other applicants. The new building was to be for 250 patients, capable of being enlarged to take 350, with a kitchen large enough to cater for 500. Trevail’s fee was to be 5% of the total cost of the building. He undertook to supply pencilled plans within three months. He was asked at the same time to prepare plans for a 20-bed isolation hospital. The Lunacy Commissioners wanted just 10 isolation beds and their view prevailed. Trevail prepared plans that went to the commissioners. They returned them with nine points of objections involving about a dozen alterations. These done, and the plans approved, tenders were invited for the construction of the isolation hospital. Sampson Trehane of Liskeard offered the lowest tender: £3,272.8s.10d. In February 1899, 12 months later, the builder wrote to say the isolation hospital was finished. By August the hospital was still empty because the grounds were not completed. Later that year two nurses with scarlet fever were kept there, but it was not until a year later that mention is made of there being any lunatic patients in the new hospital. In the meantime, negotiations were going ahead for the new asylum. Trevail prepared plans and talked to the Lunacy Commissioners. There was considerable concern over sewage disposal, ‘as it is at present disposed of by irrigation of land not the property of the asylum, and the use of which the asylum may be deprived of.’ The Lunacy Commissioners insisted on a minimum of one acre of ground for every 10 patients, so the estate needed to be increased by 30 acres and renting land was not deemed good enough. Was there an adequate water supply? The asylum could produce 32,000 gallons per day from its own supply and the Bodmin waterworks contract allowed 40,000 gallons per day, so one thing at least was going to be all right. The site for the new building, to the west of Carew House, was decided on with the sanction of the commissioners, although Trevail was not happy with the slope. The Asylum Committee tentatively approved his plans in July 1898 and he was asked to complete them for the commissioners. The commissioners wanted workshops re-arranged, doorways moved and an extra lavatory; the committee wanted more single rooms (more money from private patients), observation windows, a larger recreation hall and sleeping accommodation on the ground floor. The alterations meant Trevail had to re-do all his plans before getting final acceptance. Tenders were requested for the new building and when that of Pethick of Plymouth, for £87,973, was accepted, large spreads appeared in the county newspapers, with a sketch of the proposed building and all the tenders outlined in great detail. Trevail, one of the great self-publicists of the time, wrote the description for the new building: ‘It is a somewhat melancholy reflection that the greatest demand ever made on the Cornwall County Council is for the provision of additional asylum accommodation. Great economy observed, cost per bed in other parts of the country amount to £320, £305, £246, etc. Bodmin is £220. Structural work will be substantial but plain. The only ornamental work, and that very modest, will be on front of assistant medical superintendent’s house. Fireproof ceilings and staircases, internal woodwork varnished red deal, alternative exits from every ward. Direct access from every ward to the airing courts and recreation hall without passing through other wards.’ The building was going to be a show piece, of this there was no doubt. The Lunacy Commissioners had had 90-odd years to work out the requirements of an institution such as this and Trevail, interpreting their requirements in his own style, held nothing back. The centre block contained the quarters of the assistant medical officer, waiting room, porter’s room and visiting room. Behind it was the recreation and dining hall, then the kitchen and attendants’ block, with the workshops and boiler house, with its six-sided chimney, further back. On each side of the residence and hall were two ward blocks, set back and staggered to show a wide frontage. These blocks were labelled Chronic, Recent and Acute, Sick and Infirm, and Epileptic. Space was left for one more block to be added on each side, widening the overall appearance even further. Built of Plymouth limestone with rich red terracotta decorations, its composition contained subtleties such as varying architraves and different spacings between windows to avoid monotony. When Silvanus Trevail died at the beginning of November 1903, the first concern of the committee was to find somebody to oversee the finishing of the building. It advertised in the newspapers and received 18 applications, including one from Alfred Cornelius who had been Trevail’s able assistant for many years. John Kirkland from London was chosen. Kirkland started with much the same problems as Trevail had finished with: complaints from the contractors about shortage and quality of stone; the clerk of works wanted more money; Hadens, the firm installing the boilers and piping, had not been asked by the committee to give any undertaking concerning the efficiency or performance of its equipment, and Kirkland suggested it was time something was done about it; the asylum clerk admitted to ordering two 16ft boilers instead of two 20ft ones. In May 1905, Kirkland asked if the new building was to be named and the committee resolved to call it Tremayne, in honour of the chairman at the commencement of the work. The building previously referred to as the New Building (1885) would be Rashleigh, and the Long Building (1872) would be Kendall (both Mr Rashleigh and Mr Kendall had been on the committee). Mr Tremayne declined the honour, suggesting that the present chairman, Henry Foster, had done far more work than he in connection with the building, so the Foster Building it became. March 1906 saw the acceptance of tenders for equipment, furniture, bedding and cutlery. The first patients were moved in on July 27 and by the end of the year 290 male patients had taken up residence. The men had been moved out of the Rashleigh Building and the women moved in. In this year cost per patient was 10/9d per week, three farthings less than in 1873. , , ,
  3. Nice I do like a clown shot or 2 , This place has gone down hill in a big way I was here the other week and its sad to see it in such a state
  4. It's a good mooch and am surprised it don't get a bit more love, Cracking work mate
  5. Cracking report there, thanks for sharing
  6. Love a bit of Hellingly , Nice work mate
  7. THE COMPANY which owns the former creamery in Taddiport near Torrington has gone into receivership. The site was once the town's biggest employer, but has more recently become a blot on the area's landscape. Newton Abbot-based company Kingscourt Homes Ltd had plans to redevelop the site. However, the company is now in the hands of the receivers, according to Companies House. The sole director of the company, Ian Robert Mitchell lives in Phuket, Thailand and Kingscourt Homes' phone line is no longer connected. However, its website is still running. Torrington councillor, Geoff Lee, told the town council the owners of the Torridge Vale Creamery site had gone into liquidation. He said: "But every cloud does have a silver lining. Torridge District Council's planning officers are meeting with HSBC, who I understand have taken over the site. "They are looking at plans for the site and something is likely to happen more quickly than it was going to before." A planning application to build 125 homes on the site was refused by Torridge District Council and its decision was supported by the Planning Inspectorate in January 2008. The refusal centred around the site being predominately used for housing and not employment. Kingscourt Homes Ltd carried out a public consultation on plans to build 73 new homes, a shop, 11 employment units and a riverside office on the site in October 2009. However, the plans were never formally submitted to the council. The derelict site has also plagued local residents as an eye sore. Some have seen it as an "accident waiting to happen" after debris and steel have been left around the site. Neighbours have reported groups of youngsters going drinking at the site and there have been calls, backed by police and councillors, for it to be properly secured. It is understood to have asbestos and has also been the location of two suicides. Mr Lee later told the Journal: "One of the biggest problems with the site has been it being in private ownership. Hopefully it will now be made safe." The site shut finished as a dairy in 2006 following the closure of Robert Wiseman Dairies and the loss of 100 jobs to Torrington. Dairy production in Torrington dates back to 1872 when the old railway line enabled milk to be delivered from Torrington to London in the same day. Also did some filming maybe not everyones cup of tea but was fun to make, http://youtu.be/-VtKLGVOlIE