Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation


1 Follower

About degenerate

  • Rank
    Oblivion State Member
  • Birthday 03/25/1990

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Sheffield Old Town Hall stands on Waingate in central Sheffield, England, opposite Castle Market. The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield's first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny. This first structure stood by the parish church, on a site with little prospect for extension. The Old Town Hall was built in 1807-8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty and Quarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866, the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices. By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896-7 and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains disused.
  2. This Grade II listed building was built in 1894-96 and has been altered altered 1931 and 1967. The large children's mural was designed in 1931 by Herbert Wood. In more recent times it has been The Taj Banqueting Suite which was evacuated in 2014 when when an explosion caused a fire in the kitchen. (http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/around-200-people-evacuated-after-7648171)
  3. Construction of St Jude's Moorfields Church School started in 1844 and was completed around 1858 and was to serve one of the slum parishes in Sheffield. Later renamed St. Judes Anglican Church. In 1980 it became Assembly of God Pentecostal Church, it closed in 1999. The building has been extensively altered but some of the original architecture remains. Conversion of St Jude’s into six apartments has also been given the green light. (http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/back-to-back-housing-makes-a-comeback-in-sheffield-1-7851304) As expected it was nothing special since its had a good going over by the pigeons and graffiti artists however there are some nice pieces from color (I think)
  4. Got no history on this one, it looks like its used as storage by Viridor as theres loads of wheelie bins in one of the rooms, it's also stripped so don't get your hopes up.
  5. It's that time of the month for another George Barnsley report! George Barnsley and Sons Ltd. (founded 1836) They were in Cornish Place on the Don and specialised in forge filing and cutting tools for leather workers and shoe makers. One George Barnsley was Master Cutler in 1883. George Barnsley and Son is listed in the 1837 Sheffield directory as a file manufacture situated on Wheeldon Street, The 1849 listing records a move to Cornhill and the 1852 to Cornish works Cornish street they had by this time also increased there product range to include steel files, shoe and butchers knives. They are again listed in 1944 as manufactures of files and blades shoe knives and leather workers tools. In the 1948 listing the business had become George Barnsley and Son Ltd George Barnsley died at his home at No 30 Collegiate Crescent on 30th March 1958, he lived there with his wife Mabel and mother-in-law Elizabeth. He was a partner in the firm which were steel and file manufacturers and the business was converted into a limited company about 10 years before his death. Thanks for looking.
  6. Pye Bank Primary School, one of the original Sheffield Board Schools, was designed by architects Innocent and Brown, and was opened in 1875. The buildings were unlocked on 1st December by Mrs Mark Firth in the presence of Sir John Brown, a British industrialist, and Viscount Sandon using a large golden key elegantly decorated with jewels. Over one hundred years later, Brian Bezant, a former teacher through the 1970’s to 1990’s, and headteacher from 1997, described the school as being “perched on a cliff like an eagle’s eyrie” and explained how it was initially divided into three distinct departments; one for infants, and two – which were separate – for male and female juniors. The school continued to grow alongside Sheffield’s industry as the population in Pitsmoor grew rapidly; even after it suffered severe damaged when it was bombed in December 1940. It only remained closed for five months and while the roof was repaired most of the teachers and pupils were evacuated to Lincolnshire. By the 1970’s the school had become extremely overcrowded, to the extent that mobile classrooms occupied much of the playground spaces, and several concerns were raised over the disappearing influence of the church. However, while Diocesan plans surfaced to re-establish a presence in the area, they were unsuccessful since the religious divide between pupils has already become too great. Although the Pye Bank never actually rejected its strong Christian ethos, before its closure it was reported that the school served a community that was almost entirely Muslim based. Despite its long history, the school closed in 2003 when a new purpose-built site, which was constructed on the former site of St. Catherine’s RC Primary School, opened on Andover Street. Although the buildings are now Grade II listed, the entire school has remained abandoned since its closure, despite alleged plans to redevelop it into apartments. It is likely, if such rumours are true, that the hillside on which the school is located, which offers stunning views overlooking the city of Sheffield, helped to prompt this proposal. Cheers for looking.
  7. Before you go any further I'll warn you now this place is pretty barren and I'm posting this as an update to what it's like now. Most has now been demolished with the remains heavily covered in graffiti including some of Sheffield’s usual suspects, Coloquix, coLor and Phlegm. Williams Fasteners is a trading name of Williams Brothers, which was founded in 1870 by George Williams and describes itself as the "leading UK suppliers of Industrial Fasteners and Fixings and Precision Engineered Special Fasteners". Williams Brothers relocated in 1997 to their current HQ on the Tinsley Industrial Estate leaving this building behind.