Well this had been on the 'list' for some time now, and after getting the nod from peterc4, and not actually working for once, it was on!!!
Great day, with great company, peterc4, also good to meet up again with Stussy, Mrdistopia, Sickbag Scattergun, Starlight
Cambridge Military Hospital CMH Aldershot
The Cambridge Military Hospital (CMH) was the fifth military hospital built in Aldershot.
The CMH was built by Messrs Martin Wells and Co. of Aldershot. The building costs were approximately Â£45,758.
The first patients admitted to the CMH were on Friday 18 July 1879. They either walked or were taken by cart ambulance from the Connaught Hospital.
How Did The CMH Get Its Name?
The title had nothing to do with the Cambridge area but came from His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge who was the Commander-in-Chief of the Army at the time. The Duke of Cambridge opened the CMH Aldershot in July 1879.
The Design Of The Hospital
The hospital was built on a hill because current clinical thinking at the time thought that the wind would sweep away any infection and clean the air.
The CMH was famed for its supposedly mile long corridor. We have never measured it but walking from casualty down to the children's ward often felt like it! The original plan was to have a series of self contained wards for regiments all joined onto the corridor. It was hoped that this would also reduce cross infection. By the time the hospital opened it had been decided to run the hospital as areas of treatment rather than type of cap badge.
The hospital soon became a fully functioning hospital and was the first in the UK to receive battle casualties directly from the front of World War One.
The Cambridge Military Hospital was the first British Military Hospital to open a plastic surgery unit. This was opened by Captain Gillies. He had been in France on leave in June 1915 and met the surgeon Hippolyte Morestin and watched him perform facial reconstructions on patients with cancer. He learnt from the surgeon and brought his experience and new knowledge to England and was soon operating on soldiers back from the Battle of the Somme of World War One with facial gunshot and shrapnel wounds and injuries. Dental work was performed by William Kelsey Fry and the plastic surgery unit was overseen by Sir W. Arbuthnot.
Over the decades the hospital grew and not only treated soldiers and their families but local civilians. Departments grew and included an accident and emergency unit, children's, medical, plastic surgical, general surgery, burns, gynaecological, intensive care and orthopaedic wards. Departments included several theatres, an X-ray unit, an out patients department and a large laboratory at the rear of the CMH. This was called the Leishman Laboratory. It was opened by Lady Leishman in 1932, wife of Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) Chair of Pathology Sir William Leishman.
Well on with the pics, enjoy
Thanks for looking