Jump to content

Lenston

Administrators
  • Content count

    2,012
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    8

Posts posted by Lenston


  1. History 

     

    The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

     

    The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.

    The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

     

    Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 

    As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

     

    Pics

     

    42788517152_02b01c002a_c.jpg

     

    42788515552_d6edc50f29_c.jpg

     

    42788514352_a685ee8f8a_c.jpg

     

    42788513132_08229cb723_c.jpg

     

    42788511992_ed37131676_c.jpg

     

    28963927038_757d602e0c_c.jpg

     

    42788510622_2e61a32a0e_c.jpg

     

    28963925838_8fa44186ec_c.jpg

     

    Thanks for looking

    • Like 2

  2. History (GWSR.COM)

     

    Hunting Butts tunnel often gets overlooked but it is the shorter of the two tunnels on the Honeybourne Line.  It has track laid through it and it is used to store rolling stock although the Cheltenham end of the tunnel is fenced off with a robust steel palisade.  Hunting Butts tunnel is just 97 yards long and was originally envisaged as a deep cutting.  However, this would have severed the gallops then used by the new racecourse so, perhaps with an eye on future revenue afforded by the racecourse the GWR agreed to build the tunnel and it was completed in the Autumn of 1904.  Cheltenham Race Course station was completed in 1912; six years after the line had opened throughout. 

     

     The Honeybourne Line was effectively closed in 1976 following a freight train derailment on what is now known as 'Chicken Curve' north of Winchcombe, probably because of movement in the embankment.  This is a problem that has beset this location since the 1920s and in January 2011 finally collapsed, severing the line.  No through trains traversed the route after that date and it was officially closed later November 1976. 

    In 2010 the trackbed was replaced and is now used to store rolling stock.

     

    Pics

    41914628092_430cdc38e5_c.jpg

     

    41914626672_8dcf0de017_c.jpg

     

    41240808254_65e8d02619_c.jpg

     

    41914624662_4f879bafbb_c.jpg

     

    41914623132_366bd08e1c_c.jpg

     

    41240800504_ec9d55b2d4_c.jpg

     

    41240798164_91d617ed30_c.jpg

     

    41240797014_461ba2ce42_c.jpg

     

    41914616602_ca28eccbc7_c.jpg

     

    41914615712_b6b6c67cc7_c.jpg

     

    Thanks for looking 

    • Like 4
×