Lavino

UK St. John the evangelist 2015

Visited with @woopashoopaa @vulex @g-k wax and @dangle-angle was our second places of the day was a decent place still quite a bit to see. And overall not in to bad condition. Was able get up the tower by the never ending spiral steps up onto the roof. So here's some history and pics...

St John the Evangelist
Burnley Road, Crawshawbooth

The area of Higher Booths was reliant on St Mary & All Saints at Goodshaw to provide a place of worship for the Anglican community from the mid-sixteenth century. By the 1880s, with the rapidly increasing population of Crawshawbooth, it was unable to cope, with the demand for pews being fifty applicants for every pew vacancy.

At the same time as this rise in population the Brooks family where also rising in prestige and wealth. The Brooks family, who were cattle dealers from Whalley, came to Crawshawbooth at the turn of the 18th century acquiring Sunnyside House and then added Crawshaw Hall in 1831. They owned Sunnyside Print works and also a number of quarries in the Rossendale area from which a lot of the local houses and mills were built. In 1884 Thomas Brooks became High Sheriff of Lancashire and was created Baron Crawshaw in 1892. They also had houses at Tarporley in Cheshire and Long Whatton, Leicestershire.

In 1888 Thomas Brooks donated the land and £3,000 towards the building of St John the Evangelist (total cost approx. £12,000), the exterior of which is built of local stone with `York` stone dressing and the interior is red Rainhill sandstone. The Church which was consecrated 25th October 1892 is often referred to as "The Cathedral of Rossendale". The Church was originally served by the vicars of Goodshaw, but in 1899 it was created an independent Parish and remained so until 1984 when the benefice became a joint one with Goodshaw.

DSC_0117_zpsfbzatavr.jpg

DSC_0116_zpsrksobhca.jpg

DSC_0115_zps9c8xxxjb.jpg

DSC_0076_zpsplem0rou.jpg

DSC_0075_zpssdbkxdc0.jpg

DSC_0072_zps5zsafanx.jpg

DSC_0074_zpshhl4rukp.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsy1jj9dfn.jpg

DSC_0071_zpspxi5csjn.jpg

DSC_0079_zpsjyddotax.jpg

DSC_0080_zpsorcfunyb.jpg

DSC_0081_zpsgh7mmuot.jpg

DSC_0082_zpswsflxcvb.jpg

DSC_0083_zpsxqs0l7kh.jpg

DSC_0086_zpshbpeozam.jpg

DSC_0089_zpsfqelpzgl.jpg

DSC_0094_zpszrjgrwwq.jpg

DSC_0099_zpstxpymryb.jpg

DSC_0103_zpsotxh7lkd.jpg

DSC_0111_zpsz9gyv0ax.jpg

DSC_0110_zps9v31kuxh.jpg

Yep looks awesome. Good pics and yea a couple slightly off centre new cam etc lol. Also you missed ya spacing a little. Them bloody stairs are killer ain't they lmao and I hope ya rang that bell. I'm gunna head back soonish to use my new wide angle and improve on my pics plus want a better bell shot. And that roof is incredibly rough lol the holes etc are huge. Glad you went m8ty really nice place 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jane doe
      This was an old explore from 2012 , the church and school closed in  1977  and Im not sure if its still empty or has been redeveloped  

• By skeleton key
      Thankful there was enough remaining to grab some shots and at the same time have a good giggle
      Splored With Lara,Trog and peaches

In the back area of the stage Lara found some costumes and the silliness began.
      Beds began to roll up and down the corridors .

Better not to ask

I nearly ran straight into secca.
      At first i thought it was another fool dressed up but as Sindbad
      Then realized he was a Sihk Secca lol

This fella was either as deaf as a post or turned a blind eye & I wasnt fussed with either.
      As was more to see and we put a bit of distance between us and the now named Turbanator.

Cheers for looking in

• By Lenston
      History 

The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

Pics

Thanks for looking
    • By jane doe
      I was passing here today on way home from work so called in to have a look ...Quite a nice little explore ☺️

• By UrbanBeginner1
      This church had been on my bucket list for a while and I finally got access, granted it happened last year. I don't know a lot of the history of the church, other than the congregation was founded by German immigrats in the 1800s. The origional church burned in the Chicago fire and a new one was constructed in 1904. In the 1910s Polish immigrants moved in and the German congregation declined in membership. It bounced back and years later in the 50s a large Puerto Rican population came in and spanish masses were offered for the first time. Membership throughout the 60s and 70s etc kept declining and in 1990 the church officially closed. The rectory, convent and school were all torn down. As for the chruch a development company owns it and want's to turn it into luxury condos and a music school.