Sign in to follow this  
Hydro

UK Mouldridge Lead Mine, Derbyshire - Jan 16

Explored with @-Raz-, @Fatpanda, @Butters and a none member.

History;

Mouldridge lead mine near Pikewell in Derbyshire was surveyed between 1981 and 1984. The mined area is set astride a liberty boundary and has been intermittently mined since atleast the early 18th centaury up to 1954. The history of the mine shows a few titles, but this particular mine was a small scale operation at best.

23977297403_c6275f0a45_b.jpg

What happened;

This wasn't our first mine, but it was our first lead mine. As soon as we got in it was apparent that this was unlike the ones we had explored, due to the fact it looked more like a cave. I am led to believe that this is due to the way lead is mined, or so the internet tells me. Anyway while moving through one of the smaller lower level passages Raz' gas monitor started flashing and blaring, which called for a hasty retreat. on the surface the meter was reading somewhere around 24, in the tunnel it dropped to 16. I believe 14 is the level where 2 breathes leads to passing out, and then probable death.

...but we all survived and we had a damn good time :thumb

Photos;

24577925196_032ef9d918_b.jpg

24495746012_5e19fe8561_b.jpg

24308568300_b0884602a8_b.jpg

24521859011_112d3592df_b.jpg

24495790142_546e1b53f0_b.jpg

24577977986_b967935195_b.jpg

24308598960_dfc8a75294_b.jpg

24308640860_cf958916d0_b.jpg

23977324243_27572ee482_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb 

On 1/25/2016 at 9:24 PM, hamtagger said:

That's pretty damn cool Matt, good to see you boys carrying gas monitors and stuff, probably saved your bacon that day! :)

:comp: 

I believe it did :thumb

On 1/26/2016 at 4:24 PM, Lenston said:

Looks like some nice shots to be had down there, cheers for posting up :) 

Definitely worth a look mate :)

Nice pics & very lucky  :)

I"ve been trying to drop the meter off to  @Raz  for nearly 2 months for exactly this reason! Now you hopefully have an better appreciation of the risks involved in the stuff we do. And after your visit to Knostrop with air issues (if i remember correctly) i"d have thought you"d have got one ASAP :eek:

As for the 24% O2 (Enriched Oxygen level) you suggest, i"m sorry but you"d all be in flames the amount you lot smoke ;) Plus the high 02 alarm is set at 23% so i think you"d have heard that :jump

I"ve never got either of the 2 Altair Meters (mine or Raz"s) to read above 20.8% O2 (yet) and i"ve tried  both  alongside each other and they"ve always read the same in different locations so far :huh: which is good TBH the last thing you want is dramatic variation.

Think you lads owe @Raz a big thanks to say the least. maybe you should chip in and get him a battery charger for it ?........the least you could do for him splashing  the cash & probably saving your lives :violin:

Keep the calibration/service up to-date kids  :thumb

Edited by ACID-REFLUX

12 hours ago, ACID-REFLUX said:

Nice pics & very lucky  :)

I"ve been trying to drop the meter off to  @Raz  for nearly 2 months for exactly this reason! Now you hopefully have an better appreciation of the risks involved in the stuff we do. And after your visit to Knostrop with air issues (if i remember correctly) i"d have thought you"d have got one ASAP :eek:

As for the 24% O2 (Enriched Oxygen level) you suggest, i"m sorry but you"d all be in flames the amount you lot smoke ;) Plus the high 02 alarm is set at 23% so i think you"d have heard that :jump

I"ve never got either of the 2 Altair Meters (mine or Raz"s) to read above 20.8% O2 (yet) and i"ve tried  both  alongside each other and they"ve always read the same in different locations so far :huh: which is good TBH the last thing you want is dramatic variation.

Think you lads owe @Raz a big thanks to say the least. maybe you should chip in and get him a battery charger for it ?........the least you could do for him splashing  the cash & probably saving your lives :violin:

Keep the calibration/service up to-date kids  :thumb

Yeah after LOL Drain we've been pretty reckless, but thanks to @-Raz- we should be safe now as long as we dont stray too far away from him. We knew the risks after our chat down megatron regarding your bad air experience, but i think i had a "it wont happen to me" mentality.

20.8 sounds right now you mention it, i guessed as i could remember to be honest lol.

Im working on getting myself one at the moment after this so hopefully it can be avoided in future :thumb

Ill remind him about calibration :D